Well that was fun. Not!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that was fun. Not!!!!

We just lost compressed air to the building. These machines didn't like it too much.

Yep that’s a no go on most of em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
      Yep that’s a no go on most of em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      There were some bad noises coming from around here. Don't think anyone got hurt.

Comment

Thread title fits

Comment

hope all the parts stayed in the machines!

Comment

what kind of machines?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              hope all the parts stayed in the machines!
              Everything stayed in, but I'm sure quite a bit of $ was lost.
              Originally posted by double bogey View Post
              what kind of machines?
              Machine shop. Lathes and mills.

Comment

Are they driven by compressed air? I'm in and out of machine shops all the time and I don't recall the machines using compressed air.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                  Are they driven by compressed air? I'm in and out of machine shops all the time and I don't recall the machines using compressed air.

Chuck clamp is often controlled by air

Comment

Gotcha, never noticed that on the shops I've been in but they're repair shops and not production shops. I bet it would get a little hairy.

Comment

That could get all kinds of crazy

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                        There are a bunch of gizmo's inside them that run on air. I'm not sure what all of them do, I just run em.
                        Luckily, most of our lathe chucks are hydraulic, so nothing came loose. The biggest problem is on the older mills. The compressed air operates the clamps that hold the tools in the spindles.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          That could get all kinds of crazy
                          You ain't lived until you've had a chuck let go while it's running! Gets your heartrate up pretty quick.

Comment

That would not be good!

I sell CNC Routers into the wood industry and was told a story of a man getting killed by a bit that had turned loose! It becomes a large projectile!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                              You ain't lived until you've had a chuck let go while it's running! Gets your heartrate up pretty quick.
                              I would bet. Years ago, I was turning my engine balancer on my lathe, the table was loose, needed to be tightened up, but I did not know anything about that at the time. I had only had the lathe for about four months or so at the time. So the tool holder had play in it. My best cure was to make very light cuts, hoping the bit would not dig in too deep and mess something up. Well I was cutting the hub on the balancer, which weighs about 8 lbs. I was spinning it about 900 rpm or so and the bit dug in deep gouged into the metal and yanked the balancer out of the chuck jaws. It sliced my hand wide open when it came off of the lathe. I never even knew it hit me, till I reached to turn the lathe off and saw the tendons in the top of my hand. I had about a 2 1/2 long cut across the top of my hand, that went down to the muscles, so the top of my hand was wide open. It never hurt, but it did start to bleed pretty good shortly after I realized what had happened.
                              The part I was more worried about, was my brand new expensive engine balancer, was skipping around the shop, like a 8 lb. top. That thing danced and skipped around for what seemed like 10 minutes, before it finally quit. Months later, I met a old machinist who told me you could tighten up the table top and how to do so. I wish I would have met him before I sent the balancer skipping across the shop. Luckily it missed my head. It went by my head about 2" to the left, after it zipped across the top of my hand. When you have a piece with that much weight spinning at 900 rpm, it has some energy. I only mess with small stuff. I have a buddy, who runs some big machines, I would not want to be around, when there is a serious goof up, involving one of those machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X