Magneto Speed Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magneto Speed Issue

Got a few questions based on a trip to the range today.
    I chopped my 6.5 CM down to 18” and plan to run it suppressed full time.

Shot the rifle with the Magneto Speed Sporter strapped on my TBAC Ultra 7 and shot 4 shots without it reading anything on the screen. Took the can off and it is reading the velocity fine. I am wondering if with the suppressor the distance from center of bore to the Magneto Speed is too great to pick up the bullet.

Anyone had this happen and have a solution?

Also, how much velocity do you think I am gaining with the TBAC Ultra 7 versus unsuppressed? I’m not looking for exact answers just curious on y’all’s opinion.

I may be wrong but I think their V3 model which I have will work with suppressors. On one or 2 of their other models I don’t think it’s compatible with suppressor. I may be wrong but may look into that.

Comment

Magneto Speed Issue

I don’t think you can use the sporter model with a suppressor. It’s probably too far from the bore. You need a V3 if you want to use it with a suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anything over the 1/4" (gauge they provide) off the barrel channel miss reads or throws a error with my Magneto. I'm running the V3 on all suppressors and when set up correctly has been flawless.

Comment

Well I guess that answers it. Thanks

Comment

You may be able to use it but you’ll have to do some grinding and hacking on the little chingaso to get it closer to the bore.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
              Anything over the 1/4" (gauge they provide) off the barrel channel miss reads or throws a error with my Magneto. I'm running the V3 on all suppressors and when set up correctly has been flawless.
              This… bring cleaning rod or dowel rod with you and measure. Had same frustrations only to realize I was 1/2” off.

Comment

Ran my v3 with out issues on my suppressors today.

Comment

I read on another forum about somebody using ‘rare earth magnets’ and stacking them on their magneto to be able to get readings with a suppressor. The magnets cost less than $5
                  Last edited by Patton; 02-05-2023, 10:42 PM.

Comment

You need the V3 model

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                      You need the V3 model
                      Actually he needs a lab radar.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        my vote is the Oehler 35P chrono

I'd probably own a LR if the doppler radar would register 17 caliber bullets at 4000+ fps. The LR is limited to 3,900 fps I know the Oehler records bullets at 5,200 fps

Comment

X2. I have had both and both have their quirks but the Lab Radar is still here because it’s easier and more reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            my vote is the Oehler 35P chrono

I'd probably own a LR if the doppler radar would register 17 caliber bullets at 4000+ fps. The LR is limited to 3,900 fps I know the Oehler records bullets at 5,200 fps
                            Yes, the Oehler is the standard in chronographs.

Three of us went together and bought a LabRadar, it was a very disappointing purchase in the beginning. Their customer service sucks real bad.

Comment

I’ve got both and find the lab radar finicky when picking up shots, rarely have any issues with the magnetospeed. I’ve got an inertia trigger when shooting suppressed, false reading are frequent even when no one else was on the range showing an arbitrary speed of 1800-2000fps needing to be deleted.

Comment

Working...
                              X