Small Land Hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Land Hunters?

Who all on here hunts on less than 60 acres in East Texas. Looking for suggestions y’all may have on tips for bow hunting. It’s only my third year bow hunting.

My bow stands are tripods, and it feels as if I’m either way out in the open, or in way too much cover and don’t have much shooting options.

So pics of tripod set ups in heavy woods would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt small acreage in N Texas. I personally would rather have more cover and less shooting lanes. If you cam see the deer, the deer can see you. You are bow hunting not rifle hunting. I have a couple tripods in the middle of a few cedars. It was really hard getting them set up but they are awesome stands now. I try to cut as little as possible. I use paracord to tie back any branches in my lanes so that I keep the thickness of the canopy. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
      I hunt small acreage in N Texas. I personally would rather have more cover and less shooting lanes. If you cam see the deer, the deer can see you. You are bow hunting not rifle hunting. I have a couple tripods in the middle of a few cedars. It was really hard getting them set up but they are awesome stands now. I try to cut as little as possible. I use paracord to tie back any branches in my lanes so that I keep the thickness of the canopy. Good luck.
      same here. hiding stands are about the only thing cedars are good for. if you cant find a good place for the tripod try a pop up and elevate it if you can. there are some threads on here with good ideas on elevating them. brush it in if you want but i never have.

Comment

I hunt at my dads place in Tyler Co. 60 acres with no good trees. I hunt out of ground blinds and leave them there all year with great success. Deer have gotten used to them and I just hand corn the heck out of all my spots no feeders anymore. I like to find Youpan brush and stick the ground blind in it if possible. I wait for good conditions and monitor the game cams consistently. I also have one set up where I built a small platform and placed a ground blind on top. I have 20 acres on that same County road and I have a ladder stand towards the back of the property surrounded by white oaks. I handcorn those spots. To the west of my 20 acres I have a feeder set up so I can see the deer behind my house. I have put a tripod about 40 yards up in an intersection where deer HAVE no choice but to pass. There's a high fence about 40 yards from there that borders my property so the deer cant circle around me to get to the feeder they have to pass through those trails and sloughs in order to get to the feeder. My tripod is placed in the middle of a youpan and small oak thicket and I cut vertical windows through the brush to shoot through. Hunting Tripods in East Texas is hard when hunting with a bow. With a rifle is fine cause you can shoot before they see you but with a bow you're up and close having to draw back is hard.

Comment

pretty much when hunting out of a tripod you want there to only be a fairly small lane to shoot through. Otherwise they'll bust you. Seems like you have some pretty close together trees I always just take some camo netting and create my cover for the tripod. You can have multiple lanes to shoot through just make sure very small amount of you is seen through it.

Comment

Lots of good advice on here. Good cover is essential for a tripod or you will be busted a lot.

Comment

I own 70 acres in SE Oklahoma and my place is mainly young timber that is around 10 years old. Like others have said I'd rather have more cover and small shooting windows. I use ground blinds and hang on stands where I can, and have very tight shooting lanes. I may start hand corning at little secluded spots in the thickest areas to try to get on the mature bucks in the pop up blind. I'll try to post some pics of a shooting lane I have from one of my stands. It needs 1 limb trimmed down, but it's one of two shooting lanes in that stand.

Comment

As you can see, I need to trim that one limb hanging down that’s blocking my feeder. But it’s a small window to shoot to the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great advice above about small windows and more brush. For small tracts, be sure you really pay attention to bedding areas and trails along with your entry/exit. Sometimes the short easy route is not the route you want to take.

Comment

Get a tree stand........ THE END

Comment

I have 25ac in E.Tx . I hunt in tree stands 25ft up. It helps.
                      It's a different animal vs west tx.

Comment

Also hand corn away from feeders.

Comment

i have tree stands outside paris, tx. I built them and they are only about 10' high. As long as a stay still and the deer are feeding i havent been busted.

Comment

I hunt 16 acres in the outskirts of the hill country. The best advice I can give is to keep your shooting lane as small and tight as possible. Hand corn away from the feeder to have a better shot at getting them in.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
                              I have 25ac in E.Tx . I hunt in tree stands 25ft up. It helps.
                              It's a different animal vs west tx.
                              All my stands in E. Tx are 20' or higher. I built a box blind to bow hunt out of with my boys a couple of years ago, but hate being boxed in and not way up a tree. Only bad part is being 30' up a pine and the wind start howling blowing you 5' each direction!

Comment

Working...
                              X