Is he a southpaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is he a southpaw?

My 5 year old is left eye dominant and swings a bat or golf club left handed. He writes and draws with his right hand. When he shoulders his BB gun, he puts it on his right side, but looks down the sights with his left eye. Is it safe to assume, he will shoot better as a lefty? Should I try to encourage shooting off his left shoulder?

The 22 rifle I bought him when he was born has a right hand bolt, and he is almost ready for it. Yes, it could be shot either way. 'Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

He should shoot with his dominant eye. If it's left, then left-handed - regardless of which hand he writes or throws a ball with. It's most important in wingshooting with a shotgun. But for rifle and handguns too, he needs to use the trigger finger on the same side of his body as the eye he uses to line up the sights with.

Comment

It’s worth a try getting him to shoot lefty.

My younger brother writes left, throws right, bats left, and shoots right.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
        It’s worth a try getting him to shoot lefty.

My younger brother writes left, throws right, bats left, and shoots right.
        That's exactly my son. He's right eye dominant. He can throw just about equally well with either hand. He's never been a switch hitter though. Weird.

Comment

You are at an age where it will go seamless with the long gun for him...muscle memory will take over quickly & yes, he needs the dominant eye looking down the bbl so that's your easy fix. I'm not gonna be much help on anything non shooting related. I am left handed but right eyed so lucked out on the long gun which I shoot way more than pistol. Bringing your left hand & right eye together for the line up with handguns isn't ideal but doable. I play pool left, bat right & right footed.

They made my Dad switch as soon as he started school writing with his right & was a great move...my lefty penmanship is worse than a Dr's signature, you smear ink with your pinky cuz your pushing instead of pulling. Be glad the boy is right handed!! pita

Comment

Thanks yall. These were my suspicions. I'll start encouraging him to shoot lefty.

Comment

Check again in a couple years. He's young enough that it could switch. I'm right eye dominant but left handed. Learned to shoot right. Left handers have an easier time doing things right handed.

Comment

Make him shoot left
                Don’t worry about the bolt.
                I shoot lefty and
                I work a right bolt fast as I do a left handed.

Comment

Start him off now shooting left if your sure he is left eye dominate. Do this now before muscle memory starts. My son is right handed but left eyed dominate and always shot right handed, guns and bows. He is on the high school clay target team and coach noticed it and we tried to switch him to a lefty shooter but it was to late, it didn’t work because he grew up shooting right. Now he just has to make adjustments and adapted to it. If I would have known in early years I would have had him start shooting left handed early on.

Comment

Thanks. He is definately left eye dominant. I'll continue to test him as he grows, but looks like he will be shooting lefty now.

Comment

I’m left eye dominant.

Do everything right sided except shooting a bow.

Comment

I write right handed . Shoot a bow right handed. But shoot pool and a shotgun left handed . I shoot with both eyes open when I shoot my bow are my shotgun.

Comment

My son who’s in 3rd grade is left eye dominate, rights with his left hand, but throws a football, baseball etc. with his right. We’re just starting shooting, but we’ll try lefty first. It’s just weird how bad he is at throwing with his left arm.

Comment

And he can’t write worth a flip with his right.

Comment

I’m right handed. Shot lefty all my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X