Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed on type of truck to move a D5/D6 dozer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed on type of truck to move a D5/D6 dozer.

Im looking for advice/opinions on what type/brand of truck to buy to move a D5XL or D6 size dozer. I do not know much about larger trucks like this. Any particular brand or style preferred over another? Anything to stay away from? Anything to look for? I’m needing to be able to move a large dozer reliably to jobs within 100-150 miles away. I’m looking for the cheapest option, but more importantly I’m wanting reliability. This will have to be a used truck. On a truck like this, how many miles is considered “high”?

If it’s possible, let’s not turn this into a CDL/DOT thread.

What does a dozer that size weigh would be the first question.

Comment

Cursory look in the innerwebs says 18 tons. Truck would be out of my realm of knowledge.

Comment

Toyota Tundra

Comment

A D6 is gonna he 33000-34000 depending on your blade type, etc...

Comment

If the weights posted are right it's way above my knowledge.

Comment

The way everyone preaches on hear it sounds like the v6 ecoboost f150 is almost overkill for your application

Comment

Stand by... the Ram guys will be by soon telling you that you should be good as long as you have tow mirrors.

Comment

How much are they charging to move the D6 if you had to hire a hauler? You can buy tractor trailer rigs down here right now, lot of guys have gave up hauling frac sand. Some of them are rigged up for sand boxes using lowboy flat bed trailers. I have not seen any dovetail trailers though.
                  Last edited by Radar; 08-27-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                    Stand by... the Ram guys will be by soon telling you that you should be good as long as you have tow mirrors.
                    Im a Ram guy, but I ain't haulin that thing!

Comment

You gonna need a class 8 truck with a low boy for that type of weight. Since all the players will handle the weight you will be looking towards reliability. Fuel economy isn't that big of a deal since you are local. Of course you will need a CDL and have to live by the laws and driver's regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                        Toyota Tundra
                        Lol.

Seriously. Semi

Comment

A pickup won't move a D6.

I know you said you didn't want to turn this into a CDL thread.

Sorry about the reference, but it will definitely require a big truck (18 wheeler) with a dropdeck trailer and a CDL.

The dropdeck is so you are not permitted by hight. If you haul it with the blade on you may have to get a permit for width. If the blade is not too wide you might be able to tilt the blade and get around the permit by width requirement.

Edit: I got to thinking about this and I could be wrong. I am pretty sure the guy that just cleared my place had a D5 but it might have been a D4.

He pulled it on a deck over gooseneck with a 1 ton Ford. He did mention that he is right at the limit for height and width. He didn't mention the weight.
                          Last edited by turkeyhunter1; 08-27-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

The Class 8 truck gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is a vehicle with a GVWR exceeding 33000 lb (14969 kg). No pick up will do that. Sorry

Comment

You are looking at a semi tractor trailer. Brand is debatable, as are motor size etc. Viking makes a nice equipment trailer with a drop deck, dovetail, and ramps. They are solid trailers, I used to own one. You may be able to put the dozer and your mulching rig on one.

The Viking 35 Ton "Loadhandler" is one of the most versatile trailers on the market. This trailer is widely used to accommodate a variety of heavy
                              Last edited by Dale Moser; 08-27-2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X