Stupid cows...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chef View Post
    Got a call from the guy that leases our land for cattle yesterday. "Mr.Chef, I think my cattle have gotten into your feeder".... geezzz that's just my luck. I'll swing by today on my way south. Thank you Mr. Cattle guy....

Garage sale!!! Everything is trashed. Back to the drawing board.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    That happened to me at a lease I used to have across the river from Fort Hood. Dadgum cows had kicked the feeder barrel clean across the pasture and legs bent all to heck. It's time for a feed pen, my friend.

Comment

Dang it man.

I hunted a place in Mason once they kept knocking them down no matter what we did. Way before cameras. Ended up catching the owner knocking them down to feed his cows.

He was way to old to whoop his arse..just had to take it and move on.

Comment

Grass

Ain’t no grass with a bucket of carbs in the feeder. Leads to it coming down

Comment

I have to have the panels up or the cattle will eat till my feeder is empty. I have the gravity feed so they eat till it's gone.

Comment

Sorry for the troubles man. I’ve read people never have issues with cows, either like this or while hunting...personally, i’m not a fan. Hope things shape up for ya...

Comment

Horses are bad too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Have had the same problem. Except horses are even more destructive. I eventually had to build a two-strand barbed fence around it. Was worried at first it would deter deer, but I've seen big bucks just dip right under it. I just tried to keep the wire at least 40' out from the feeder in all directions so they don't feel crowded.

Comment

I’ve had them all but I still enjoy hanging feeders for this reason.

Comment

Time Capsule feeders. We run cattle, and they leave them alone because it doesnt allow any corn to come out when it is not running. Their wide base makes them pretty well tip-proof when full of corn. Have not had a problem one with 4 of them now.

Comment

The title of this thread would almost indicate there are some other type of cows than 'stupid'. You look into those big brown bovine eyes and all you see staring back at you is emptiness.
                      I've had cows working in cahoots with pigs before where the big ol' cows lift up the legs of the feeder and get it to fall over. Then the persistent pigs come along and tear open the barrel and enjoy the treats.
                      My experience has been that cows will push down/through even a 5 strand barbed wire enclosure if they are hungry enough.
                      My last lease had enough deer/pigs that there was seldom enough corn on the ground for cows to care much. My biggest issue was when they would come through while I was in the stand.

Comment

Winch up and problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                          This was a new setup and location. The same feeder sat 200 yards from this spot for 8 years with no problem. I havent had an opportunity to look at the camera footage yet. I can only assume that the cows knocked it over then the pigs destroyed everything. Guess it was time to replace everything anyway.
                          Safe to say!

Buy a better/more stable feeder and set up a feed pen

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                            Kinda hard to blame the cows.
                            I had the same thing happen... wife told me the same thing.

Comment

Great time to buy a stand and fill....

Comment

In Mexico last year, we had big *** brahma and other misc cattle plus 5-6 horses. We used some home made stand and fill feeders and staked each leg down with rebar. Not a single issue from any cattle or horses pushing them over, and they slept by them at times. usually didnt stay long since they cant pick the corn up off the ground, but man those feeders were money.

Comment

Working...
                                X