Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nocturnal Game

Is there a way to change their minds?

Have had a Game Cam out for a week. So far all the game show up at 11, 12 and 1 A.M. a couple hung around until sun-up, but only on one day and all are Hogs, this place was LOADED with deer last year.... No pressure on this property as far as I know.
    I wonder if the Deer are busy with the fallen Acorns and are not hitting the feeders yet!!!

Same issue at our place this year. Last year deer hammering the feeders during daylight. This year all nocturnal. We don't have oak trees so I think it has been the heat? We will see.

Comment

Yeah seems for the most part deer are not hitting the feeders that much yet . Hogs will start coming in the daylight once it starts getting cooler. Hogs will also keep deer from coming to feeders especially if you have a bunch of hogs.

Comment

Same

Comment

well crap! sorry to hear it y'all! At least I'm not the only one with this issue.
          It can be the abnormal and prolonged heat. Maybe this cool will fix that!!!

Luckily I don't hunt the feeder. I have stands in the woods about 200 and 250 yards away (up and down wind) and hope to intercept them to and from the feeder.

We have a LOT of hogs....

Comment

We had a lot of 3-4 year old bucks hitting our feeders in red river county, day and night time. The hogs are still hitting night time at the feeders. Unfortunately when the acorns fall the feeders loose activity. The few nocturnal bucks I’ve encounter in the past took a lot of studying and patience, out side of a hot doe bringing him across my path I had to find out we’re he was living, set up close to his bedroom around a good natural food source because he will travel up in the day but not far to feed. But never underestimate because those old smart bucks will take the slightest turn to move away from the smell or the noise. They get old and big for a reason of being smart. Best way I’ve found is decoy with another buck to look like a intruder in the pre rut stage to the rut stage to take the attention of my stand point . I have seen big swamp donkeys of bucks use smaller younger bucks to scout out before they make the move.

I don’t know the true answers to the question, but with past experiences this is what I’ve learned on “nocturnal” deer in general. My guess is there not nocturnal it’s just night time when your seeing them because that when they move in the area so to speak. I’m no expert either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a way. It’s called the RUT.

Comment

My take:

Deer CANT lay down all day. They CANT. .... they just move shorter distances and stay closer to beds where they have what they need close by and feel secure.

Get off the food sources and move towards the bedding until you don’t have nocturnal pics... and that might mean they ain’t on your place in daylight. That’s a pressure and habitat problem

If they ain’t coming to you, go to them and forget all the attractions. mho

Comment

Tuthdoc wrote a piece of nocturnal deer yrs ago. His theory was there is no such thing. Like what low fence say deer are going to move throughout the day, regardless of weather. Yes colder weather seems to increase activity but they move in hot weather as well. Just because they aren't coming to your feeder or set up during shooting light doesn't make them nocturnal.

Comment

Spotlights help kill nocturnal deer.

Comment

Hunt em at night. Level the playing field.

Comment

If you have a lot of hogs and you have hogs at your feeder then I think you'll see many more deer on cam if you fenced out the hogs. That has been my experience.

Comment

It's the moon phases. Give em time and they will rotate to daylight hours. Deer will feed when the moon is overhead or underfoot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. If you have acorns then all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            It's the moon phases. Give em time and they will rotate to daylight hours. Deer will feed when the moon is overhead or underfoot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. If you have acorns then all bets are off.
                            Harumph!
                            Solunar theory proven best hunting and fishing times for Zip/Postal Code 90210 in monthly calendar format by using zip/postal code selection method. You can download your areas hunting and fishing best times calendar in pdf format for easy printing for free.

Nightime acorns are pretty tasty right now. We had lots of illumnation coming off that quarter moon.
                            Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-08-2019, 01:00 PM. Reason: IlluminatedAcornSpake

Comment

Working...
                            X