Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping to disk all my plots this weekend and plant in 2 weeks

Comment

Sprayed 3 weeks ago and planted BFO today. Just need rain.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GLM View Post
        Sprayed 3 weeks ago and planted BFO today. Just need rain.
        How does that old style drill work through thatch. Pretty good ? I’ve been thinking about trying that but didn’t want to spend the money if it wouldn’t work well.

Edit: Upon closer inspection I see that it looks like a no-till drill. I thought it was one of the old styles.

Comment

I will spray tomorrow, ordered fertilizer for Saturday. Then it will sit, till mid October. We got army worms coming and its bad dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            How does that old style drill work through thatch. Pretty good ? I’ve been thinking about trying that but didn’t want to spend the money if it wouldn’t work well.

Edit: Upon closer inspection I see that it looks like a no-till drill. I thought it was one of the old styles.
            It’s not a true “no till” because the disks are not coulters. Coulters would do a much better job of cutting through the thatch.
            However even with only disks it does a much better job of getting seed in contact with the soil than a spreader would. The secret is to do it when the thatch is dry and brittle and the soil is moist. The disk will cut through the thatch and make a shallow groove in the soil that the seeds fall in. The wheels on the back then presses them into the moist soil. I’ve had much better success with the grain drill than my spreader when planting in thatch.

Comment

It’s not a true “no till” because the disks are not coulters. Coulters would do a much better job of cutting through the thatch.
              However even with only disks it does a much better job of getting seed in contact with the soil than a spreader would. The secret is to do it when the thatch is dry and brittle and the soil is moist. The disk will cut through the thatch and make a shallow groove in the soil that the seeds fall in. The wheels on the back then presses them into the moist soil. I’ve had much better success with the grain drill than my spreader when planting in thatch.
              What is the model number? When planting in thatch does the drop tubes or discs get plugged up with thatch?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                What is the model number? When planting in thatch does the drop tubes or discs get plugged up with thatch?
                It’s a John Deer LL166 Grain Drill. Never had a problem with the cutters or seed tubes plugging with thatch.

Comment

It’s a John Deer LL166 Grain Drill. Never had a problem with the cutters or seed tubes plugging with thatch.
                  Thanks

Comment

I couldn’t tell from the pics. I can’t broadcast into thatch because of the hogs. They try to eat my seeds even when they’re buried. I would really like to get to no-till but I don’t see that happening. The best I can do is disc lightly and sparingly and hope to keep something growing most of the year to combat weeds and poor soil health. Thanks for the clarification !

Comment

I couldn’t tell from the pics. I can’t broadcast into thatch because of the hogs. They try to eat my seeds even when they’re buried. I would really like to get to no-till but I don’t see that happening. The best I can do is disc lightly and sparingly and hope to keep something growing most of the year to combat weeds and poor soil health. Thanks for the clarification !
                      Don, I found this guy not far from here. He is asking 3400 obo. I like the 3 point hitch but not the price.

Last edited by Radar; 01-10-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Im not sure where your located but our county nrcs offices have no tills for rent and all kinds of equipment. We are in Oklahoma. Might want to check where you are. Not expensive at all.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                          50lbs of winter wheat and 50lbs of elbon rye got broadcasted on my pipeline on September 9
                          The last three nights I have two lil piggies on camera that have been vacuuming all of my seed up

They don't even touch the corn
                          The raccoons have been taking care of that

Put out another 50lbs wheat ($10) and a half bag of elbon rye to replenish with the hogs ate

Praying for rain now

Comment

At this rate it might be Nov before I can plant.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Planted 12 acres of eagle seed buck monster wheat 1 week ago and planted 35 acres of eagle seed buffalo blend yesterday. Wheat is looking good.

And lastly the soybeans that didn’t make it into the seeder this summer are going strong lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We haven’t even thought about planting anything due to how dry it is out there. We are spraying the broomweed and other weeds in the fields this week and are hoping to plant in mid October when we get a chance of rain.

Comment

Working...
                                X