Boat transom replacement help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
    Clean for its age, I would rebuild the transom on that one instead of the pour. Kinda bounce the motor by hand, does the transom flex any?, you can also take a big socket and tap around the motor transom bolts, if there are any dead sounding spots its probably compromised.

There’s no doubt the transom is bad. That’s the first thing I checked.

Comment

Be careful if it already has a weak transom, putting it on the water and running it through the test can make it a whole lot worse. Tournament buddy had transom break and motor kick up into the boat back deck... and the motor was still running with the prop going

Comment

Don't go pourable. Do once and get it over with. Worth it in the long run.

Posted by a cajun in a lawn chair, listening to the eagles, drinking beer in the yard, pretending to work on the truck and boat to get some peace and quiet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
          Don't go pourable. Do once and get it over with. Worth it in the long run.

Posted by a cajun in a lawn chair, listening to the eagles, drinking beer in the yard, pretending to work on the truck and boat to get some peace and quiet.

Are you saying the pourable transom is temporary? I probably won’t keep it long term anyway but don’t want to waste my time.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
            Are you saying the pourable transom is temporary? I probably won’t keep it long term anyway but don’t want to waste my time.
            No it's not really temporary. It will hold. Its just really not that much work to put a transom in the right way and be done with it.

Comment

I'm having trouble explaining today. Basically- if you go pourable, and end up keeping it, or later down the road a future owner needs to do anything to the transom. It will make their life harder.

And as I said above. Not really that hard to do it right. Just some time and sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                No it's not really temporary. It will hold. Its just really not that much work to put a transom in the right way and be done with it.

I wouldn’t know how to do it right which is why I’m considering pouring one. To pay someone to put one in would probably cost more than the boat is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  I wouldn’t know how to do it right which is why I’m considering pouring one. To pay someone to put one in would probably cost more than the boat is worth.
                  YouTube will teach you. It's really not as hard as it seems. That's how I learned.

Comment

Replaced one back around 92. It held up great until i lost the trailer going 55 and the trailer jumped the medium and hung the lower unit which ripped it out.

Comment

Might as well take the top cap off and re-do the stringers while your at it, if the transom is rotten stringers are probably too, that old skeeter is full of wood. Replace both with composite and that boat is good to go as long as you want to. I know someone who did this on an old nitro it wasn't really a pain to do and a skeeter shouldn't be either, just took some time, lots of youtube videos out there.

Comment

Originally posted by wow View Post
                        Replaced one back around 92. It held up great until i lost the trailer going 55 and the trailer jumped the medium and hung the lower unit which ripped it out.
                        wow.

Comment

What you end up doing?

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            What you end up doing?

Nothing yet. I actually planned to take it to the lake today and see how it ran but upon closer inspection I decided not to chance it. I’m going to pull the motor and start working on it soon. I’ll update the thread as I have time to work on it.

Comment

I got the motor loose from all the wiring today so all that’s holding it on the boat now is 4 bolts. Going to try to get someone to help me get it off completely tomorrow after Church.

Comment

She just gave it to you? Why can't I ever come across something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X