Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you reload for it?

Comment

Heard lots of good stuff about it as stated above in other posts but my big hesitation on it would be all the stuff I have read about the barrel life on it. I am not sure if its true but I like to shoot as much as I can and paying to replace a barrel every 5 years or so would suck.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info....Still looking into it....Not really worried about barrel life for now and I will eventually hand load for it...

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
          Heard lots of good stuff about it as stated above in other posts but my big hesitation on it would be all the stuff I have read about the barrel life on it. I am not sure if its true but I like to shoot as much as I can and paying to replace a barrel every 5 years or so would suck.
          Not a jab at you, but this made me laugh. I shoot mainly 6mm’s (6cm and 6 Dasher) and I’ll got thru 2-3 barrels a year. After 1000 rounds, I won’t take them to a match. They become practice barrels at that point.

Comment

Either go 6.5 CM or .224 Valkyrie, best in the BC wise, no need to go crazy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
              Either go 6.5 CM or .224 Valkyrie, best in the BC wise, no need to go crazy with it.
              .224 does not beat a 6 in BC, and going 6 is hardly crazy.

Comment

They sure is a lot of choices of ammo for 243 Win.

I aint wanting to beat up on one cartridge or the other but it sure seems like all them Creedmoor branded calibers are all close to being another common round and benefit from Hornady advertising. I dont think a high BC or a boat tail on any caliber does anything for a 300 yard or less target. I better not say anymore, one of y'all will start hollering at me.
                Last edited by Radar; 02-26-2019, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

I aint wanting to beat up on one cartridge or the other but it sure seems like all them Creedmoor branded calibers are all close to being another common round and benefit from Hornady advertising. I dont think a high BC or a boat tail on any caliber does anything for a 300 yard or less target. I better not say anymore, one of y'all will start hollering at me.
                  For a varmint only gun I’d absolutely choose 243 over 6CM. It has way more light offerings. For a do all gun I’d rather have the heavy choices that the CM offers. I’m tired of loading these days. Only load for my SAUM now, and I’m contemplating turning it into a PRC so I don’t even have to do that.

Comment

You might be right, Lot of deer killed with a 243 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

So what are you saying 6.5 Creed is close to? 260? Pretty sure that time frame was pretty close and 260 lost the marketing war... 6 Creed was just a 6.5 necked down to shoot 6mm which all the bench resters love to shoot so much.

Heard an interesting podcast with George Gardner from GA about them working up a 6mm that has Dasher numbers without the feeding issues. 6 GT...

I've been wanting a 6mm for a long range/varmint gun. 6 Creed was what I was going to go but I think I'm going to wait now and see which of the 6mms have staying power and if any of them show some longer barrel life

All that said, if you don't care about hides... I think 6.5PRC is the better option for pigs and steel. It will hold up better in the wind than any of the 6mm offerings. Solid factory offerings.
                      Last edited by catslayer; 02-26-2019, 07:45 AM.

Comment

It's a newer, cool guy .243, so yeah, it works the same. Same bullets, same case capacity.
                        Same same

**edit**
                        I stand corrected, the 6mm creed has a slightly lower case capacity than the .243 Win. It's probably a wash, though, since it is designed to keep the bullet further out of the powder column.
                        Last edited by meltingfeather; 02-26-2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                          So what are you saying 6.5 Creed is close to? 260? Pretty sure that time frame was pretty close and 260 lost the marketing war... 6 Creed was just a 6.5 necked down to shoot 6mm which all the bench resters love to shoot so much.

Heard an interesting podcast with George Gardner from GA about them working up a 6mm that has Dasher numbers without the feeding issues. 6 GT...

I've been wanting a 6mm for a long range/varmint gun. 6 Creed was what I was going to go but I think I'm going to wait now and see which of the 6mms have staying power and if any of them show some longer barrel life

All that said, if you don't care about hides... I think 6.5PRC is the better option for pigs and steel. It will hold up better in the wind than any of the 6mm offerings. Solid factory offerings.
                          Isnt the 6.5 prc having to be built o long actions because there's issues with its overall length in most short actions? Thought I read that somewhere but it isn't any better on barrel life

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
                            Isnt the 6.5 prc having to be built o long actions because there's issues with its overall length in most short actions? Thought I read that somewhere but it isn't any better on barrel life

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
                            I’ve only seen APR saying that. Every PRC I know of personally is on a short action, and does just fine. In fact I’ve got a PRC arriving today on a short action. My SAUM is on a short action, as well as every SAUM I’ve been around.

Comment

Putting away the spreadsheets, in practice 6cm is very different from .243 because of the different barrel twists they are built with. 6cm rifles are built for 103-115gn bullets, outside the realm .243 will stabilize.

(And for it to come up in this thread, it's clear 6.5 PRC has reached the maximum level of the hype cycle. It's pretty extraordinary how well Hornady has learned to sell cartridges.)

Comment

They market them well, but they also support them well. Consistent ammo with quality high BC components for a reasonable price. Its no longer only a hand loaders game, which is what has helped their market so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X