Air compressor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air compressor question

I bought a used 60 gallon 5 hp air compressor..( Ingersol Rand )

Model SS4L5

230 volts on the sticker....

Forgive me on my ignorance about electricity questions

It has 3 wires coming out of the junction box...black, white, ground

If its 230 volts, wouldn't it have 4 wires....2 110 legs, a neutral, ground ?
    Attached Files

Doesn't matter what leg you hook up to from the panel. You should have 2 110 legs feeding in and a ground. The two 110 legs make your 220

Comment

My DeWalt 60 gallon / 5 HP has just three wires: L1, L2 and Ground. Keith

Comment

Originally posted by ktjones View Post
        My DeWalt 60 gallon / 5 HP has just three wires: L1, L2 and Ground. Keith
        This is fairly common for a 220V motor.

Comment

OK that makes sense...was just wondering why there was no neutral

Comment

Not to hinack, but how is that compressor? I have a 60 gallon Porter Cable bought on sale years ago. Got a pinhole. So I am about to junk it and been looking at a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefecinco View Post
              Not to hinack, but how is that compressor? I have a 60 gallon Porter Cable bought on sale years ago. Got a pinhole. So I am about to junk it and been looking at a few.
              not sure...it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up....gonna wire it up this weekend and run all the piping and quick connects that came with it

Comment

Originally posted by Jefecinco View Post
                Pinhole in the tank? Weld (or JB Weld) it and you'll be good as new.....if everything else works.

Comment

3 wires is correct. For 220V there is no neutral. Think of 220V service as the difference between +110V and -110V.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                    Pinhole in the tank? Weld (or JB Weld) it and you'll be good as new.....if everything else works.
                    Ya I thought about welding it or JB Weld. But it gets mixed reviews. Some say they do it and it works great. Others say you are fighting a battle because more holes show up.

Not sure what I am going to do.

Comment

how about drill out the pin hole and tap then put in a bolt washer and a rubber gasket
                      see if that works you can forget about JB weld working that 80-120 psi in there

Comment

Working...
                      X