'Official' 2014 Trapping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Official' 2014 Trapping Thread

With all the recent trapping threads, it seems like there is enough interest that we should combine all the information in one thread. This can be a thread to share tips and ask questions.

We have been running 14 Duke Coon Cuffs and just recently got 6 Duke #3 Offset traps.
    Taken 8 coons and 1 opossum using tuna and banana moonpies as bait. No luck on the coyote traps, had one dug up. Using dirt hole sets with R-P Red Fox Urine, Grawes Fox #1 "Big Red" and Hawbackers "Fox, coyote bait".

Trapping so far has been a very fun way to pass the 'offseason'
    Attached Files

Im a complete novice at this trapping game. I have 24 of the Dukes DP coon traps. I set 16 of them two nights this last weekend and took out 22 of those suckers using marshmallows and fish oil. I will be back the weekend of the 22nd to try and inflict more damage on the coon population.

One greedy sucker had both front paws down in the trap.
    Last edited by rtp; 02-11-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      Im a complete novice at this trapping game. I have 24 of the Dukes DP coon traps. I set 16 of them two nights this last weekend and took out 22 of those suckers using marshmallows and fish oil. I will be back the weekend of the 22nd to try and inflict more damage on the coon population.
      I am certainly a novice as well.

22 coons, that is awesome!

I'm adding some fish oil to my online shopping cart right now, last week we set out our traps and baited them with some knock off marshmellow brand and didn't catch a single one. Switched to tuna and moon pies and got 3.. Took 8 coons out in about a 20 acre stretch, gonna switch areas.

I have seen some guys using cat food and sprinkling some fish oil over it. Carry it around in a milk jug and its easy to set traps by 'pouring' some in,

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
        I am certainly a novice as well.

22 coons, that is awesome!

I'm adding some fish oil to my online shopping cart right now, last week we set out our traps and baited them with some knock off marshmellow brand and didn't catch a single one. Switched to tuna and moon pies and got 3.. Took 8 coons out in about a 20 acre stretch, gonna switch areas.

I have seen some guys using cat food and sprinkling some fish oil over it. Carry it around in a milk jug and its easy to set traps by 'pouring' some in,
        The stuff I bought had one of those safety seals over the bottle opening when you unscrewed the cap the first time. So I just poked a hole in the center of it and put the cap back on. It made it easy to just unscrew the cap and give a squirt into the trap and put the cap back on. Easy to control that way.

Comment

Glad to see this thread thanks

Comment

what prices are yall finding for the fish oil shipped to your door?

Comment

Just got R-P outdoors fish oil 16oz for 7.99

Comment

Following

Comment

I'm no expert but you catch more coon with just marshmellows. Fish oil, catfood, sardines, etc you will catch possums and skunks to, but not with marshmellows. 1 skunk is enough to get your attention

Comment

When I set my traps, the pan does not sit flat, even if I put the dog on a hair trigger. The pan points upwards at a slight angle. I have messed with the screw that attaches the pan, but still can't get it to get flush, I'm thinking this screw I am messing with has to do with the pan tension.

Do I take the pan off of the trap and bend it little by little so that it will be flush when I set the trap?

Comment

I caught five coons last weekend. I probably around 30 for the year. Using marshmallows and old little debby nutty bars.

Comment

When I set my traps, the pan does not sit flat, even if I put the dog on a hair trigger. The pan points upwards at a slight angle. I have messed with the screw that attaches the pan, but still can't get it to get flush, I'm thinking this screw I am messing with has to do with the pan tension.

Do I take the pan off of the trap and bend it little by little so that it will be flush when I set the trap?

You can bend that part that's holds the dog or latch whatever you want to call it bend it in just a lil bit an that should bring your pan down. I hope that makes sense

Comment

I just set out 2 live catch traps with a little bit of dog food drizzled with some sardine juice. Sure hope I don't catch a skunk. A coon or possum or fox would be okay, but please no skunks dear lord lol. If I catch one I am not sure what I am going to do. Anyone ever skin a skunk? All you got to do is cut around the glands and be sure not to cut or apply pressure to them right? Whatever I catch will be my first time to try to skin and tan it.

Comment

I've skinned 3 skunks this year and yes you don't want to mess with the glands. I normally remove the glands as soon as I skin it enough to get them out. I also save the skunk essence for lure making. You can make a solution of 1 quart peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 2 table spoons dish soap and it will kill the smell.

Comment

You have to bend the piece that the dog is attached to towards the pan and it will level the pan

Comment

Working...
                              X