Hill Country No Til Foodplots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill Country No Til Foodplots

We aren’t allowed to break ground on our lease due to the USDA CRP program on our lease. We have several areas where broadcasting would allow for soil to seed contact and plenty of sunlight. The landowner told me that he knows several people who have had luck broadcasting winter wheat as a no til but I’m not seeing it done anywhere. I figured Oats and Winter Rye would be fine but wanted to see if anybody had any success stories.

Check out this thread below:

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
      Looks like some of what he planted were just thrown but most of it appeared to be disked and then packed. Some good plots though.

Comment

broadcasting and shredding works on well in central tx sandy soil.
        Let us know how it does.
        Last edited by Big pig; 04-18-2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
          Do you have fallow fields? Flat, relatively rock and stump free?
          I would suggest waiting until later in the fall when weather might remain
          Wetter. Planting early sounds good till it comes up and gets no rain. broadcast wheat, oats and elbon rye. Shred over the top. If you have a big deer population, it better be a big area. I use more seed than recommended because the seed is cheap compared to time and effort.
          We fertilize after ours after cool weather so native grass is dormant and won’t compete.
          I assume no livestock.
          I’m looking at a September plant. Yes, rock free for the most part. Mostly. Where are you getting your seed? I read a good article that talked about doing a light broadcast, then every other week doing more broadcasting with seed. To allow for growth behind what is being eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbradford View Post
            Looks like some of what he planted were just thrown but most of it appeared to be disked and then packed. Some good plots though.
            If you read his whole thread the most recent posts were more of the throw and mow method. He used elbon rye as his base majority of the time because it is smaller than wheat and germinates easier. Then he would use other small seeds in the mix as well.

Comment

I agree with what's been stated above. Throw and mow leaving a layer of thatch to cover the seeds.

I like clover, alfalfa and oats myself. The smaller seed, the better it works as a throw and grow. If the ground if flat and not very rocky you could also roll it before mowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                I agree with what's been stated above. Throw and mow leaving a layer of thatch to cover the seeds.

I like clover, alfalfa and oats myself. The smaller seed, the better it works as a throw and grow. If the ground if flat and not very rocky you could also roll it before mowing.
                I know mowing is a no go.

Comment

Elbon rye! After my first experiments with it last fall I'm convinced it will grow on concrete. I did a throw and grow at our wise county farm and it was awesome. Going to seed now
                  Andnis 5 ft tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
                    Elbon rye! After my first experiments with it last fall I'm convinced it will grow on concrete. I did a throw and grow at our wise county farm and it was awesome. Going to seed now
                    Andnis 5 ft tall.
                    That’s great to hear. How much did you buy and how much per bag?

And how did the deer take to it?
                    Last edited by lilbradford; 04-19-2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I am only planting once a season.
                      I plant a mixture of oats, wheat & elbon
                      And broadcast with the tractor about 200 lbs / acre.
                      Some goes out of the fields and some I’m sure is eaten by critters,
                      But our fall plots really looked good this year and everything was eaten to the ground except in the cages.
                      We have an outstanding field of red tipped clover, but I am not sure any of it is being eaten. . I have a photo of that, but everything is so green and lush, deer arent hungry.
                      I buy my seed at Davis Feed in Centerville.

Comment

I would love to know of a clover that can grow in our area (hill country) and the time of year to plant it. I’ve seen some people broadcast chicory on top of the soil in early spring and it did well thru summer time.

Comment

Sorry I was not answering about hill country
                          Just 35 years of planting here and still trying to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                            Sorry I was not answering about hill country
                            Just 35 years of planting here and still trying to learn.
                            No biggy. I appreciate the feedback regardless

Comment

Working...
                            X