Browning BAR 243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browning BAR 243

Does anyone have one that wants to share their thoughts on it? Looking at getting a Mark III for my wife.
    Last edited by highspeed; 11-29-2020, 09:04 PM.

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
    Does anyone have one that wants to share their thoughts on it? Looking at getting a Mark III for my wife.

Tagged. I’m also interested in getting a MK3. Only catch is we are both lefty. Looks like the Europe website offers a large variety in LH, but not Browning America... although I heard it’s making a comeback in 2021.

Comment

I inherited one. I hated it. The 243 just don't have enough posterior in my opinion. And the dang gun weighed waaay to much. And 243 fanboys, please don't flame me. I just prefer bigger holes in live targets, with leakage out two sides.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
        I inherited one. I hated it. The 243 just don't have enough posterior in my opinion. And the dang gun weighed waaay to much. And 243 fanboys, please don't flame me. I just prefer bigger holes in live targets, with leakage out two sides.
        Thanks for the info. How was the accuracy? I know that they aren't as accurate as a bolt action, but I would be happy with 1.5" at 100 yards.

Comment

I've wanted one for a long time but never had one fall in my lap. I've read a little less accurate than a bolt gun but have talked to plenty of people who love them. Accuracy wise, think we're talking about 1-2" groups which will get the job don't all day.

Check out the Browning BLR. Also a very cool gun and has the accuracy of a bolt action, unless you're set on semi auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
            I've wanted one for a long time but never had one fall in my lap. I've read a little less accurate than a bolt gun but have talked to plenty of people who love them. Accuracy wise, think we're talking about 1-2" groups which will get the job don't all day.

Check out the Browning BLR. Also a very cool gun and has the accuracy of a bolt action, unless you're set on semi auto.
            I looked at the BLR’s and I liked them but my wife doesn’t trust herself in decocking the hammer. I told her practice makes perfect but she said she’d rather have the BAR.

Comment

Anyone else with some experience with a BAR?

Comment

I get little less than an inch to 1.25” groups with my .338 and happy with that. If you can get a .243 in a Bar grab it!

Comment

I bought a BAR Mark III DBM in .308 last year for my truck gun. I got the composite stick with the 18" barrel.

I love everything about it except the trigger. When shooting from the bench, the trigger is lousy. No one makes a replacement trigger. I tried a few different factory loads and found one that delivered a 3 shot 1" group at 100yds, which is good enough for me for a truck gun. When shooting critters, I don't notice the lousy trigger at all and every hog I've shot in the head has been DRT. The only other 'problem' I have with it is that the action does not lock in the open position (or if I does, I haven't figured out how). I love the gun and would buy it again.

BTW, you might consider .308 instead of .243 because she can shoot a heavier bullet and deliver more energy to the animal with essentially the same recoil and trajectory to at least 200 yards.

Comment

I have a BAR Mark II Safari in .243. I’ve had it for 30 years, been a great gun. Taken many deer, pigs, and yotes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe_diem View Post
                      I bought a BAR Mark III DBM in .308 last year for my truck gun. I got the composite stick with the 18" barrel.

I love everything about it except the trigger. When shooting from the bench, the trigger is lousy. No one makes a replacement trigger. I tried a few different factory loads and found one that delivered a 3 shot 1" group at 100yds, which is good enough for me for a truck gun. When shooting critters, I don't notice the lousy trigger at all and every hog I've shot in the head has been DRT. The only other 'problem' I have with it is that the action does not lock in the open position (or if I does, I haven't figured out how). I love the gun and would buy it again.

BTW, you might consider .308 instead of .243 because she can shoot a heavier bullet and deliver more energy to the animal with essentially the same recoil and trajectory to at least 200 yards.

Not sure on this model but the little lever that releases the action is also the lock. Pull the receiver back and push the lever up instead of down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                        I have a BAR Mark II Safari in .243. I’ve had it for 30 years, been a great gun. Taken many deer, pigs, and yotes with it.
                        Not hi-jack but would love to see it. I love the Bar and levers.

Comment

I can't help you with the model you are looking for but I just finished load development over the holidays for my new Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win.

I am shooting the 80 gr Barnes TTSX bullet at 3378 fps. I would be very confident hunting anything deer size on down with that caliber and load.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a bar mark 2 safari in 270 I love it. Like you said it’s no bolt action when it comes to accuracy, but it’s still more accurate than I am. When my little cousin started hunting he was scared to shoot guns because of the kick. I let him shoot my bar and he had no problem with it. Mine hardly kicks. I am from East Texas so I never take a shot over 200 yards, but I’m pretty confident that the gun could do it.
                            Last edited by jamenefee; 11-30-2020, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Looks like the BAR is what I’m going to go with.

Comment

Working...
                              X