Shoalwater 23 Cat vs. El Pescador 24 Cat vs. Haynie 24 Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to put an order in on a new boat towards the end of the year so that it is ready to go for 2021. Have pretty much narrowed it down to these three.

Anyone have experience (owning, fishing, driving, etc.) with all three models?

I am going out on a new Haynie 24 Cat w/ Mercury 400 this weekend and then a new Shoalwater 23 Cat w/ Suzuki 300 next weekend. Still need to reach out to Richard to schedule a demo ride on the El Pescador 24 Cat.

Will ultimately make my decision after personally test driving each one but was just curious what experiences people have had with all three thus far.

Also, anyone happen to know the price difference between the three? Obviously that's a loaded question with all of the different options to choose from but just wondering assuming that they were all equipped the same.

Have not been on a haynie cat. But I have driven shoalwaters and el pescadors, both great boats but el pescador is a lot better IMO. Hole shot and the way el pescadors turn with ease and don’t fall off of a plane is just hard to beat. EP by far the best boat I’ve been on!

Comment

It gets overlooked some, and may have been on your radar and passed up, but a Tran 240 SVT is a hell of a boat. Haven’t been on an El Pescador Cat but the Tran is a better hull than the Shoalwater, Haynie. And Donny will build whatever you want, great customer service at Tran.

Comment

Don’t overlook the Tran 240 svt and the JH outlaw 23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Of those 3 I would go shoalwater first then it would be a tie between haynie and el p. El p will have slightly better hole shot over the haynie.

Do not base your decision of these 3 boats on a calm day. Make sure you test run them in some chop as each will handle slightly different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've been on all three and prefer the EP. Way better ride, faster, and has the same or better hole shot/shallow water capabilities

Comment

Never been on el pescador. But have been on haynie and it was nice. I own a shoalwater cat 21 and it has been a beast of a boat. It rides great in choppy water and does great for fishing the Baffin Bay Area which is where. I like to fish.

Comment

I'll throw another one out there for you. Check out the Gulf Coast Saber Cat. You can get it in either 22' or 25'. One heck of a boat, and the finish is top notch.

Comment

I am currently running a Dargel 23' Kat and looking to upgrade to a newer boat. The boats I have been on so far for comparison have not handled as well as my Dargel IMO.

I still plan to do more research before selling/buying.

Comment

My experience, the EP is the best out of the group performance wise but it is also by far the most expensive. When I was looking the EP would have been $30K more and I just couldn't square those numbers. I wanted to, but I couldn't haha. Maybe pricing has changed some and they are all more aligned now.

Comment

Do not forget about the Majek. The Reaper or Illusion.

Comment

Majek Texas Slam would be my choice - the hull design made for inshore and nearshore offshore in Texas......the Original El Pescador hull design. Bow on in 3-5ft seas, holding head on into oncoming seas - she will run it safely with the right boat operator.

Comment

Out of those 3,

Haynie is like a tank. Probably the best in chop comfort wise, but slow and heavy.
                          Shoalwater is likely the shallowest (my guess) but probably the slowest
                          El pescador will be the fastest, with the best fit and finish of the 3. Probably the driest of the 3 as well.

Of those 3, I would take the El Pescador. I was about to order one when I found my SCB that I bought instead. I like boats that handle well and the EP crushes the other two in this department.

Comment

Tran 24 SVT. Our inside joke in matagorda is get up early and hide in the back of the harbor till you see a tran Svt 24 go bye then follow it. Nearly every guide in matagorda runs a 24 SVT for a reason. Second choice JH. The one guide running a JH just bought a SVT.

Shoalwater is nice and priced good enough for the average guy. it’s now what blue wave was 10–20 years ago everyone has one. But they are plywood boats.

Comment

Flip a 3 sided quarter. All 3 of those boats are outstanding. I really like the EP, but have fished a Shoalwater 23 a bunch and loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X