Ford vs Ram Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford vs Ram Diesel

I'm in the market for a 2018+ low-mileage used 3/4 ton diesel. I've always been a ford guy, but am trying to broaden my horizons. I plan on driving this truck for a good while, so I want something that will last 200,000+ miles with minimal repairs. This truck will be towed with, but will also be my daily driver.

What are y'alls opinions on Fords vs. "Ram" (Still a Dodge to me )?

I won't try and sway you either way, but you're welcome to come drive my Ram. I have never owned a Ford, ut it isnt because I dislike them, just keep getting better deals on Rams. Personally, I think either will last that long if you take care of em.

Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I own a 2018 one ton ram and my work truck is a 2019 ford one ton. The ford is faster way faster. The ram is way better like 3 to 4 mpg better. IMO the ram is way nicer interior than the ford. The ram is better riding than the ford. Both pull very similar. The ford feels much bigger than the ram and it takes twice the room to turn. Overall I personally like my ram way more than the ford. Ps I ordered a 2020 ram 2500 hemi to replace my 18 Cummins. Should be here by mid September. Nothing wrong with the Cummins. I just want to go back to a 3/4 and gas

Comment

I have always been a Ford guy. I wanted to buy an extra truck to tow with so i asked my local diesel shop what they thought. Every guy in there without hesitation said go with Cummins diesel on older trucks. I ended up buying a 2014 dodge 2500 with 125k miles on it. My first Dodge diesel and I love it. We are driving it to Idaho tomorrow for an elk hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
          I have always been a Ford guy. I wanted to buy an extra truck to tow with so i asked my local diesel shop what they thought. Every guy in there without hesitation said go with Cummins diesel on older trucks. I ended up buying a 2014 dodge 2500 with 125k miles on it. My first Dodge diesel and I love it. We are driving it to Idaho tomorrow for an elk hunt.
          But not the newer one?

Comment

I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those diesels . Have you had a late model diesel With the emissions systems on it before? If you are looking for something with minimal repairs out to 200K miles, then I wouldn’t buy a diesel unless you plan on deleting it. Otherwise there will typically be tons of repair costs on the emissions system no matter what you buy after warranty expires. Ford/dodge diesels will both be solid but once the warranty is up those emissions problems will cost you big. Good luck

Comment

Bought my first Powerstroke in February. My previous diesel was a L5P Duramax, before that I had another duramax and a couple of Cummins. Honestly, they all have served me well. The ford already has 28,000 miles and besides a death wobble issue that the dealership apparently got fixed it has been good. They all pull good, I’ll say the ford feels sluggish on the top end compared to the Duramax, but has good power on the low end.
              Last edited by 2Lazy2P; 08-27-2020, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Honestly, with proper maintenance and good driving habits, you will be happy with either one.

I have a 2012 6.7 f250 with 160k that the front end is just now starting to go on it. Always kept everything greased that had a zerk. I love the truck, and plan to go to 300k with it.

DPF systems only go out if you drive a diesel short distances then shut off, and don't allow them to regen. If you are towing, you will be fine.

Stay away from GM. I snapped two cv joints on the front in 2" of mud once. I hit 1200 rpms and "pop pop". I know technically it was my fault, but c'mon, 1200 rpms?

Comment

How often do you pull heavy loads? Given the headaches and additional costs associated with the modern diesels, it would have to be a bunch of towing before I'd consider a diesel over the big Hemi or Godzilla gassers.

My current tow rig is a 20 year old Excursion with the V10. Pulls my ~9K pound camper with ease. Passes everything but the gas stations! When I do eventually upgrade, it will be to a 3/4 Ford with the Godzilla.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                    I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those diesels . Have you had a late model diesel With the emissions systems on it before? If you are looking for something with minimal repairs out to 200K miles, then I wouldn’t buy a diesel unless you plan on deleting it. Otherwise there will typically be tons of repair costs on the emissions system no matter what you buy after warranty expires. Ford/dodge diesels will both be solid but once the warranty is up those emissions problems will cost you big. Good luck

This is not true. Yes the diesels have issues but out of the sheer amount of them on the road, the ones with issues are minimal and they come into the forums to ***** about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve had zero problems with my 17 f250 6.7 with 60k. Only problem is I need a 1 ton to pull my trailer so I’ll be picking up a 2020 350 on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 5.9 Dodge thats my old work horse. Dang good truck will get the job done.

However I made the mistake of driving a new Ford one-ton pulling a 32' gooseneck loaded down with cattle a few weeks ago.

It would pull it as fast as I wanted to go. Up and down hills with ease rarely down shifting. I've been wanting one ever since.

Comment

Can't go wrong either way.
                          Go drive both and I bet you leave with the Ford.

Comment

if you are going to be pulling loads often it is hard to beat the torque of the cummins. If it is going to be mostly just a driver and occasionally pulling loads I would go Ford. I have driven both and liked both. honestly I loved my ford but it could not compete with the cummins when it came to pulling loads. either way you will be good!

Comment

Either will be fine. I've had both 6.7 ford and 6.7 dodge for personal trucks and company trucks. Just delete both of them and they will run good. Ford still has the better transmission unless you buy a 1 ton dodge with the Aisin. I liked my 2014 f250 alot, but sold it and got two Dodges, 2016 3/4 ton and an 2018 1 ton dually. My fiance drives the dually and I drive the 3/4 ton. The dually is the high output model with the Aisin transmission. Comes with 1k ft pounds of torque from dodge. It will pull a house down. I deleted the 2014 powerstroke and my 16 dodge, but the ford would out pull it. But that 18 dually will out pull both of em combined.

As far as long term reliability, I will still take a 6.7 cummins over a 6.7 powerstroke. I had a 2011 6.7 cummins with 300k when I sold it. Never missed a beat. Not saying a 6.7 powerstroke won't last, but I've never pushed one that far.

One clear advantage if it matters to you is the MPG. The 6.7 cummins is way more efficient compared to the Powerstroke. Guys love to argue with me about that, but I have had both trucks in the exact same configuration to compare. The cummins will average about 4-5 MPG better.
                              Last edited by Arrowthreat; 08-27-2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X