Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try out a 5.7 on more than paper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try out a 5.7 on more than paper?

The idea of a low recoil high speed round in an ar15 pistol/sbr form factor has been intriguing, especially with stuff going on. If the game is putting rounds on target fast, with large capacity, in a small form factor, it has a nice little niche.

I’ve been wanting a banshee myself for a bit. There’s some folks who use it for small critters and such. It’s a hopped up 17 hmr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My personal opinion if you want a small compact 5.7 with capacity get a PS90 and SBR it. If you want an ar for a similar role go 300blk in a 7.5” barrel with a law folder. Much more fire power and no real reason to go to a pistol caliber in an ar unless for novelty.

Comment

I've always felt like the 5.7 is an answer to a question noone is asking. I wouldn't use it for home defense personally and certainly not for hunting anything so that pretty much ends it for me.

Comment

One deer dropped like a light but for the life of me I couldn’t figure out where I hit it at.

Comment

I have a buddy, who has a AR, that he got a 5.7 conversion for. It has a plastic mag, that fits over the barrel, pretty sure it's a blow back operation gun. You take a common AR mag, remove the shelf and spring, then stick it in the mag well. The gun ejects the cases into the hollowed out AR mag.

I want to say the magazine on the top of the gun, holds either 50 or 100 rounds, kind of like those semi auto 22 LRs some years ago. I would not mind getting a set up like he has. That thing could make for one heck of a coon or jack rabbit gun or coyotes. We used to hunt a place many years ago, that was overrun with jack rabbits. Almost every weekend, we would take our Mini 14 and AR 15 and go out and kill 40 to 50 jack rabbits in a couple hours, during the middle of the day. If we had something like my buddies 5.7, it would have been perfect for what we were doing back then. The Mini 14 worked, but not well on the longer shots, only having open sights.

I know there are guys who hunt with 5.7s, but I have definitely never tried it, it's an interesting little round. Should be pretty flat shooting for such a small pistol sized round. Should make a good javelina gun, jackrabbits, coons, coyote gun. I could see a gun like my buddy's gun, making a good ranch rifle, truck gun, critter getter.

I would not buy or build one for the purpose of shooting deer, but with well placed shots at ranges you are very sure of your shots, it should work. Having a rifle, like my buddy's when we were up in Wyoming shooting prairie dogs, would have been a blast. We killed hundreds of prairie dogs with 22 LRs. Naturally we were very range limited, but we still killed a lot of them. One of those 5.7s would extend your range beyond what a 22 LR is good for and then increase the rifle capacity a lot. Then I am sure they are a blast for plinking. Hopefully the price of ammo has come down a lot. I know when he first got his FN 5.7 pistol, the ammo was very high priced.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              I have a buddy, who has a AR, that he got a 5.7 conversion for. It has a plastic mag, that fits over the barrel, pretty sure it's a blow back operation gun. You take a common AR mag, remove the shelf and spring, then stick it in the mag well. The gun ejects the cases into the hollowed out AR mag.

I want to say the magazine on the top of the gun, holds either 50 or 100 rounds, kind of like those semi auto 22 LRs some years ago. I would not mind getting a set up like he has. That thing could make for one heck of a coon or jack rabbit gun or coyotes. We used to hunt a place many years ago, that was overrun with jack rabbits. Almost every weekend, we would take our Mini 14 and AR 15 and go out and kill 40 to 50 jack rabbits in a couple hours, during the middle of the day. If we had something like my buddies 5.7, it would have been perfect for what we were doing back then. The Mini 14 worked, but not well on the longer shots, only having open sights.

I know there are guys who hunt with 5.7s, but I have definitely never tried it, it's an interesting little round. Should be pretty flat shooting for such a small pistol sized round. Should make a good javelina gun, jackrabbits, coons, coyote gun. I could see a gun like my buddy's gun, making a good ranch rifle, truck gun, critter getter.

I would not buy or build one for the purpose of shooting deer, but with well placed shots at ranges you are very sure of your shots, it should work. Having a rifle, like my buddy's when we were up in Wyoming shooting prairie dogs, would have been a blast. We killed hundreds of prairie dogs with 22 LRs. Naturally we were very range limited, but we still killed a lot of them. One of those 5.7s would extend your range beyond what a 22 LR is good for and then increase the rifle capacity a lot. Then I am sure they are a blast for plinking. Hopefully the price of ammo has come down a lot. I know when he first got his FN 5.7 pistol, the ammo was very high priced.

What your buddy has is called an AR-57. They are dang near impossible to find for sale as they stopped being manufacturer several years ago.

CMMG makes what they call a banshee in multiple calibers(including 5.7) and in pistol/sbr configurations. Or you can buy an upper only.

Ammo still isn’t cheap, but you can reload and save a bit that way.

Comment

Yup, AR57. I have both in 11” SBR and 16” rifle configuration as well as the FN57 pistol. I like all of them, but the FN57 pistol is the most fun. You’ll be surprised how far you can shoot a paper plate with just the iron sights of the pistol with a little practice.

Comment

Working...
                X