Hagerman Seg C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St59 View Post
    Good luck today fellas! I’m in a tree 30 min down the road and everything I’ve seen is nose to ground.. gonna be a great day for y’all!
    Thats good to hear! One nubbin buck so far, otherwise quiet. Only takes ONE!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Love it. Those deer do cross there for sure.

Comment

Great morning to be out, hopefully some success this morning for everyone. I saw 4 shooters during seg. B, one was jaw dropper just couldn't get it done. They are out there.

Comment

Me and this saddle are becoming 1. Time for a snack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muzzyslinger View Post
            I agree this is why the numbers and quality are down. but if I had land close to Hagerman Id be hunting it
            Oh 100% I would be too. But to come on here and say Hagerman needs to be shutdown for several years while you're going to be hunting the fence line is a bit shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
              Hagerman held pretty consistent until every surrounding neighbor started putting feeders on the fence line. I'd wager it is the private property owners who get to hunt all year doing the damage more so than the 20ish deer killed on hagerman every year.
              A vast majority of the “surrounding neighbors” are management minded hunter. I myself haven’t seen one deer killed during H hunts that I would’ve shot. I have several I’ve seen at my place that I hope make it this weekend. So this argument doesn’t hold water.

Comment

Hagerman held pretty consistent until every surrounding neighbor started putting feeders on the fence line. I'd wager it is the private property owners who get to hunt all year doing the damage more so than the 20ish deer killed on hagerman every year.
                Id agree, the place is past its heyday and a big reason to blame is the publicity it got on this website right here, its still a great piece of public land though and all places go through cycles, it will cycle to better than it is right now but I doubt we will see it as good as it was early 2000's ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by borocat View Post
                  A vast majority of the “surrounding neighbors” are management minded hunter. I myself haven’t seen one deer killed during H hunts that I would’ve shot. I have several I’ve seen at my place that I hope make it this weekend. So this argument doesn’t hold water.
                  Ok, so what else changed? By and large hunters in general are better are letting deer get old than they were in the early days. There were young deer getting killed back in the heyday too.

Comment

Ok, so what else changed? By and large hunters in general are better are letting deer get old than they were in the early days. There were young deer getting killed back in the heyday too.
                    I think the lake flooding hard some to do with it pushing deer south. Look how many big deer are being killed around Ethyl.

Comment

This is going to rile some up but I think crossbows have played a part too. Once the state changed to rule to making them legal for all able bodied hunters in general season there I saw interest in hunting the area go up by multiples, anyone that could point and shoot could now hunt Grayson.

Comment

How about starting a new thread on what happened to the H, and leave this one for those strapped to trees.

Always have to muddle things up. Ugh

Comment

Originally posted by borocat View Post
                          I think the lake flooding hard some to do with it pushing deer south. Look how many big deer are being killed around Ethyl.

I was just thinking about the recent floods in the lower flood prone areas of some of the units. And know to well how water levels affect wildlife populations in flood plain areas. I also understand how they will filter back into an area, given time.

Everybody seems to want to place blame somewhere on their interest not meeting their expectations. There are so many different variables, one variable can not be blamed. Guess that's just human nature and "civilization".

Carry on. This thread is for those who are hunting. I'm interested in seeing how everybody does, good or badly. I just enjoy "the hunt."
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-05-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Back to the hunters. Where are the LDP’s and updates

Comment

It has been a long morning. Got in my tree. Getting light. Ducks flying turkeys honking and then I catch movement from my Northeast. He came right where he was supposed to and stopped broadside at 28-30 yards. Nice ten. Bigger than anything i have shot with a bow. Drew, settled my pin and released. Loud crack and fletchings were forward of my aim point. He bucked and ran West and turned down into the bottom. I gave him 2.5 hours. Found my arrow broke in half where I shot him. No blood for 100 yards until he made his turn and then dark red blood decent trail for 100 yards and then nothing. I'm sick. It was so perfect. The way he came through the trees and hooked a branch for a while. Walked out looking like he owned the place. Stopped perfect in my shooting lane. I failed. I feel sick. I backed out and had lunch. Headed back down for the rest of the day to slowly search. Playing it back and where the fletchings were I think it was a high front shoulder hit. Afraid it might be a long afternoon too. Where he ran too I heard dogs barking like they were chasing something. Some other hunters in that area said there were two dogs chasing a deer. I don't know. Service is bad down there but will update this evening when I come out.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
                                It has been a long morning. Got in my tree. Getting light. Ducks flying turkeys honking and then I catch movement from my Northeast. He came right where he was supposed to and stopped broadside at 28-30 yards. Nice ten. Bigger than anything i have shot with a bow. Drew, settled my pin and released. Loud crack and fletchings were forward of my aim point. He bucked and ran West and turned down into the bottom. I gave him 2.5 hours. Found my arrow broke in half where I shot him. No blood for 100 yards until he made his turn and then dark red blood decent trail for 100 yards and then nothing. I'm sick. It was so perfect. The way he came through the trees and hooked a branch for a while. Walked out looking like he owned the place. Stopped perfect in my shooting lane. I failed. I feel sick. I backed out and had lunch. Headed back down for the rest of the day to slowly search. Playing it back and where the fletchings were I think it was a high front shoulder hit. Afraid it might be a long afternoon too. Where he ran too I heard dogs barking like they were chasing something. Some other hunters in that area said there were two dogs chasing a deer. I don't know. Service is bad down there but will update this evening when I come out.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Stay positive brother—take a break, grab a bite and look again with fresh eyes

Comment

Working...
                                X