5.0L Coyote vs 3.5L Ecoboost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you’re going to tow a lot the Ecoboost
    Is a no brainer. If you don’t tow often get the 5.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I bought got the 5.0 last year for the same reason as everyone else. Its proven. Mileage is great, but I dont haul with it. It only has 13k miles so I cant comment on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        3.5 Ecoboost, hands down. I was a skeptic at first. My wife's '18 Expy Fx4 has it and its a phenomenal engine. It's like having a 6k lb sports car in a suv platform. The fuel mileage is fantastic. A trip to her parents over Thanksgiving returned 21 mpg and that was averaging 80 mph+ on I-10.

The "replacement turbos" comments are funny.....and really tell someone's age. In 1980, yes, turbos lacked proper lubrication and cooling. If turbos are bad, I guess I need to get rid of my 2 Powerstrokes, one with 370k miles and the other one at 150k miles.....

For towing, the Ecoboost wins every time. Max torque at a much lower rpm.

In the end, drive them both and make a decision.

I've hauled my Skeeter ZX250 with both and liked the 5.0 pulling a lot more. Just felt like more natural power instead of turbo'd power.

Comment

Your one of the few who would rather downshift than spool, and this is coming from a tundra owner.

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
          I've hauled my Skeeter ZX250 with both and liked the 5.0 pulling a lot more. Just felt like more natural power instead of turbo'd power.

Comment

Depending on trim and engine configuration, the 2020 F-150 features an axle ratio of 3.15, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10. As a general rule, higher gear ratios equate to higher towing capacities and lower fuel economy estimates.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any strong thoughts on gear ratios. I drive fast more than I drive with a load and am trying to get a 3.31 or a 3.55 with the V8.

Comment

Well I'm at the dealership (with no mask lol) trying to make a deal on a Platinum with the 3.5L and 3.55 gears. We'll see how finance goes....
              Last edited by Pineywoods; 12-04-2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                Well I'm at the dealership (with no mask lol) trying to make a deal on a Platinum with the 3.5L and 3.55 gears. We'll see how finance goes....
                Get one with the 36 gallon tank, you’ll be glad you did! I have a 15 eco with 87k trouble free miles. When I go to buy another one next year I’m still unsure of what I’ll get. One option I thought about was getting the 5.0 and tuning it, then it should be close to the stock 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
                  Get one with the 36 gallon tank, you’ll be glad you did! I have a 15 eco with 87k trouble free miles. When I go to buy another one next year I’m still unsure of what I’ll get. One option I thought about was getting the 5.0 and tuning it, then it should be close to the stock 3.5
                  This one has bigger tank.

Comment

Started with a 5.0 and liked it, but I really liked the low end torque and power of my new 3.5!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife has the 3.5 in her expedition. I don’t get to drive it often, but when I do, it has been abused. Sport mode is fun.

Comment

This one has bigger tank.
                        Didn’t want to wait for the new body style?

Comment

Didn’t want to wait for the new body style?
                          Nah. I needed out of this Tacoma. It had no balls for pulling my buggy. I usually get a new truck every couple of years anyways.

Comment

I have the 5.0 and wife has the 3.5 both '19 models. I had to tune mine because I didn't like the way it towed. Before the tune, I could tow the same load behind the wife's truck with no issues. Once I tuned my 5.0, it definitely towed as well as my wife's truck did, but mileage went down. If i had it to do over again, I'd get the 3.5 myself. She also has the big tank and it is a plus.

Comment

Nah. I needed out of this Tacoma. It had no balls for pulling my buggy. I usually get a new truck every couple of years anyways.
                              Then you definitely made the right choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                                I have the 5.0 and wife has the 3.5 both '19 models. I had to tune mine because I didn't like the way it towed. Before the tune, I could tow the same load behind the wife's truck with no issues. Once I tuned my 5.0, it definitely towed as well as my wife's truck did, but mileage went down. If i had it to do over again, I'd get the 3.5 myself. She also has the big tank and it is a plus.
                                Throw a programmer on that 3.5 and you will be amazed.

Comment

Working...
                                X