Electric F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric F150

Anyone considering buying one when they come out in 2022? Why or why not?

I'm not sure if I'm buying or not but they caught my attention especially if they have the generator in the bed to recharge the battery for longer distances or when towing a trailer.

Nope. I will let everyone that wants to buy one be a test mule for Ford. That said, I hope development occurs quickly, and a great product eventually comes out.

We are 10 years out from electric trucks being worth a ****. And the true solution is a hybrid platform, not electric.

Comment

I wouldnt want to pay the electric bill to charge the dern thing.

Comment

I was in the "no way" camp when it came to electric trucks. Seeing what may be coming soon has changed my mind. I have a 2018 diesel that I'll keep for quite a few more years, but hoping they have the bugs worked out of the electrics by the time I'm ready for a new one.

Comment

Pass.

Comment

How well do those batteries work when it's -20 ?

Comment

I will not when they first come out. However, I firmly believe that is the direction that we are going to end up going. The technology is improving rapidly.

Comment

Yep!
                Hopefully, my truck will get a few more years so they can work out the bugs.

The tesla truck would be tempting but it's pretty ugly as it stands. Curious what the final build will be.

Get used to it ladies and gentlemen. Cars will be mostly electric faster than you think and not because of democrats. The torque those motors can put out is pretty amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  Going to have to leave them plugged up for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase0305 View Post
                    I wouldnt want to pay the electric bill to charge the dern thing.
                    They are coming with a generator to help keep the battery charged. May be able to just pay gas for the generator over the electric bill.

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                    I was in the "no way" camp when it came to electric trucks. Seeing what may be coming soon has changed my mind. I have a 2018 diesel that I'll keep for quite a few more years, but hoping they have the bugs worked out of the electrics by the time I'm ready for a new one.
                    I have a 2011 with about 215k miles. I tow a camper some with it. I'm thinking in 2 years I'll be around 300k miles and may start to consider other options. I hope I can make it 3-4 more years so I can be on the 2nd or 3rd year model but I'm not concerned with first year technology as these things are so much better engineered than in the past that I don't think that necessarily holds true anymore.

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    Not sure but they are being build in MI. Surely they would take them to the UP and test it out.

Comment

Lol

Comment

NOT YET

Electric cars aren't free. It costs good money to charge and a ridiculous amount to buy because of battery cost.

If you think you aren't polluting, you are delusional. The generated electrons are being paid for on your electric bill and those are generated by rougly 80% fossil fuels. You are just pushing the exhaust from your tailpipe to a smokestack at your power company.

The electric motors are awesome... torque is highly addictive, but you don't have to have an electric. You want it. When battery technology is such that an equivalent battery/electric motor is about the same price as an ICE with a transmission for similar range, then the traditional ICE is dead.

I have an electric car/hybrid that goes about 50 miles or so on an electric charge. It uses about 14kWh to do so. Given I'm about 10 cents per kWh, it costs me about $1.50 with charging losses to go 50 miles. The car gets about 40mpg on gas and with gas at $1.6 a gallon, there's not a lot of delta there to make up for the cost of the car.

We don't yet have the numbers for the electric F150. Estimates are 55-60K which would mean mid-level tesla cyber truck specs. Probably about 150kWh battery. You'll go about 350 miles on that charge costing about $15 to "fill". 350 miles in an ecoboost twin will cost you about $17.5. Even if you drive 25K miles/year, that's a minicule amount of difference and will take forever to make up from a 15-20K delta in truck initial cost.

I'm all for the electric trucks, modernization, self-driving, etc. The economics just aren't there (yet). I'm all in when they are.

Comment

I enjoy rolling coal next to Prius driving bunny huggers. Kind of hard to do that in a electric truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            I enjoy rolling coal next to Prius driving bunny huggers. Kind of hard to do that in a electric truck.
                            One of these days I need an old 7.3 just for this purpose. I thinking more when I go through the underpasses loaded with "camps".

Comment

Heck no. That stuff is garbage. If ford makes it, it maaaaaaaay not be a ****. But the rest
                              Of em like Tesla, your tax dollars are the reason they are even open for business.

Comment

Working...
                              X