The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
    comparison of the stock IR light & SHL Coyote Cannon using a Wraith 2-16. 1st 25 seconds are stock IR light. steel targets are hanging @ 400, 500 & 600 yds.

Sightmark Wraith stock IR vs Sniper Hog Lights Coyote Cannon - YouTube

I’d be interested in some hunting footage with that

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
      Just got my 4k max today. I'm super pumped. I don't have any details right now as I put it straight on the charger. I'm going to let it charge and then tinker with it and mount it tonight.
      Got to use it any?

Comment

Night stalker rig. Larue OBR 762, Saker, Leupold mk6 3-18, KAC PVS30 clip on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post

Fine rig ya got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post

Nice.

Comment

well those YUGE pics ruined the thread haha

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                well those YUGE pics ruined the thread haha
                I literally have to scroll left, right, up, down to see anything.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                  Got to use it any?
                  Not in actual hunting situations, hopefully this weekend. I did get it sighted in Sunday night. I was able to shoot and sight it in after dark with the nightvision at 100 yards. I want to confirm in the day time but I feel confident in where it is hitting. It is a pretty slick unit!!!

Comment

Problem is, I see it all the time.

People wanna get into the thermal market. They spend $2500-3000 then are not happy. Then save up to buy what they should bought the first time and spend $4-5k.

Buy once cry once. they end up spending more in the long run. I tell everyone do not spend under 3500-4000 when you can spend $4400-4700 and buy the best of the best without hitting the magic area of $6-6500 and buying a Reap, Nvision, or Pulsar XG
                    I don't disagree that you should get the best unit you can afford. I think there are some really good optics in the $2500-3k range for new and even more one the used market that would suffice for most folks. IMO the 640 resolution scopes doesn't magically make you kill a significantly more amount of hogs/varmints over a 320/380 unit. Does it allow you to identify an animal at a further distance? Sure but I don't feel comfortable shooting the additional distance that the further ID range provides. I love my 640 unit and wouldn't trade it for the world but there are some really good thermal units in the price range that you mention that a lot of folks would be very happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                      I don't disagree that you should get the best unit you can afford. I think there are some really good optics in the $2500-3k range for new and even more one the used market that would suffice for most folks. IMO the 640 resolution scopes doesn't magically make you kill a significantly more amount of hogs/varmints over a 320/380 unit. Does it allow you to identify an animal at a further distance? Sure but I don't feel comfortable shooting the additional distance that the further ID range provides. I love my 640 unit and wouldn't trade it for the world but there are some really good thermal units in the price range that you mention that a lot of folks would be very happy with.
                      We cover a LOT of ground in a night (20-30k acres with a lot of multiple passes). With Trijicons we can look over a field, and tell if it’s worth putting in the legwork. I’ve had a couple Trail XPs (both 640) that 80% of the time I could positively ID the animals at distance (600+ yds), but plenty of times I would’ve been putting a stalk on had it not been for the couple of Trijicons we ran as well. They’ve saved a lot of footwork and disappointment. I can’t imagine how much worse it would’ve been with a lesser optic. On an average night we will kill on 4-5 sounders, and are only limited by time we spend on foot. If we were wasting time stalking animals that weren’t our target we’d do a lot less killing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                        A quality 2500-3000 thermal? Please show me

As I have looked thru many, and a 2500 thermal can't come close to even a $5000 thermal much less a $7000 thermal.

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        We cover a LOT of ground in a night (20-30k acres with a lot of multiple passes). With Trijicons we can look over a field, and tell if it’s worth putting in the legwork. I’ve had a couple Trail XPs (both 640) that 80% of the time I could positively ID the animals at distance (600+ yds), but plenty of times I would’ve been putting a stalk on had it not been for the couple of Trijicons we ran as well. They’ve saved a lot of footwork and disappointment. I can’t imagine how much worse it would’ve been with a lesser optic. On an average night we will kill on 4-5 sounders, and are only limited by time we spend on foot. If we were wasting time stalking animals that weren’t our target we’d do a lot less killing.
                        I agree completely. I love my reap and haven't seen anything better for long range ID. I do like Pulsars, but even their long range ID isnt comparable IMO

Comment

My new yote poker is finally ready!

Click image for larger version

Name:	713C6F81-8911-479C-BD68-A4370B451B5F.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	24634012

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            My new yote poker is finally ready!

[ATTACH]1024385[/ATTACH]

Oh man, complete package! 280?

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                              Oh man, complete package! 280?

22 Creed. Wanted something flat as thermal is impossible to judge distance. An 80 ELD at 3450-3500 should give me a pretty solid 400 yd rifle.

Comment

A quality 2500-3000 thermal? Please show me

As I have looked thru many, and a 2500 thermal can't come close to even a $5000 thermal much less a $7000 thermal.

I agree completely. I love my reap and haven't seen anything better for long range ID. I do like Pulsars, but even their long range ID isnt comparable IMO
                                I think we are misunderstanding each other. Let me ask you this question. Do you think that there is a very large group of hunters that would get a lot of value out of a Flir, Armasight or any other scope that is $2000-$3000 on the new or used market that don't have $4400? Second question are you saying that in the scenario that the two choices are to either do nothing or spend at least $4400 dollars or more on a scope and that person does not have $4400 you would suggest they do nothing?

Let me answer your question. Yes there are some very quality new and used thermals that you can get for $2500-$3000. I got a Flir 536 that I picked up for 2400 and I love the hell out of it. There are several other thermals that come up used in this price range as well as new units such as the Hogster that would be a great scope for the majority of hunters. Are they as good as the 5-7k? No and I never said they did.

Let me be perfectly clear, if you can afford a 5-8k 640 scope that is for sure the way to go. My whole point is that the majority of the thermal hunters on this site will get a lot of use and can get into a scope for 2-3k that will be more than sufficient for what they do and they will have a lot of fun doing it in the process.

I do agree that in the event that they want to move up to a 640 unit it will cost them more money but if you don't have the money at the time you don't have the money. Even if you keep the scope for a year and you lose a thousand dollars on it, I would make the argument that I got 1k of value, fun and memories with my friends and family in that one year. And not to mention that I blew way more than 1k on other even more stupid stuff out there in a years time than a thermal device lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X