Mercury Outboard Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercury Outboard Help

My 40 hp Mercury four stroke (2014) starts and runs fine until you accelerate to get on plane, then it bogs down and won’t turn over about 3500 rpms. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be ?

Did you check fuel pump ?

Comment

4 stroke.

First guess would be bad gas, second guess, replace fuel lines and filters, ethanol eats them and will cause poor flow. Third guess clean injectors.

If none of the above solve it its dealer time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the vent open on your gas tank?

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
          4 stroke.

First guess would be bad gas, second guess, replace fuel lines and filters, ethanol eats them and will cause poor flow. Third guess clean injectors.

Good place to start OP

Comment

That’s why they call them black anchors.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
              4 stroke.

I’ve been perusing the troubleshooting forums and all you mention seem likely.

Originally posted by pervis View Post
              Is the vent open on your gas tank?
              Built in tank, do they have a vent ?

I appreciate the suggestions. I’ll check on them tomorrow !

Comment

My dad got a bad tank of gas two weeks ago, truck was running but not right. He ran it to 1/2 tank and filled up with some shell premium. He reported a night and day difference.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  That’s why they call them black anchors.
                  Mercs used to be excellent motors. Before they started being made in CHIIIIINA I guess

Comment

Also check the ground on your coils. I did everything mentioned and still didn’t fix mine. Got my meter and ohmed all the grounds out and found one reading more resistance. Took 2 minutes to fix. Same symptoms.

Comment

Mine did that (2 stroke 150). Alarms would go off and everything. So I turned it off, waited a minute, turned it back on and all was good. It would happen a few times each day. Took to a shop and had a new impeller put in. Problem solved.

Comment

Water in gas could be a problem also.. but then it would run like poo and possibly shut off.

Comment

Ask on the Mercury forums on bass boat central

Comment

Fuel air spark. The spark part gets complicated..it ran before it quit working)

Comment

Primer bulb could have a pin hole in it vst could be Clogged filter could be clogged Fuel line could be eaten swan and blocked just some of the problems I have seen

Comment

Working...
                              X