No announcement yet.

My DIY Stand and Fill Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious about the height as well...if i were guessing though, I'd say about 6 feet.

Are those set screws ? Or bolts going into the drum on the frame around the base of the drum ?

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 000 Buck View Post
      Curious about the height as well...if i were guessing though, I'd say about 6 feet.

Are those set screws ? Or bolts going into the drum on the frame around the base of the drum ?
      They’re set screws holding the drum to the base by the lip on the drum. They don’t go into the drum. It’s seems very effective but I’m not sure how I feel about them.

Comment

I hate to tell you this but some coons are going to be able reach the spinner plate. It will take them much more work to get corn out because only some will be able to barely reach the spinner plate. I know this because I had cages on 2 of my 55 gallon barrels that was the exact same width as the barrel and had 1 inch tall by 2 inch wide gaps in the cage and watched coons from stand while hog hunting still be able to spin the spinner plate. I had to go to 1/2 inch by 1 inch cages to fix it. Maybe you will get lucky and not have any long armed coons at your place like we do down here in Victoria, TX.

Other then that, your feeder looks great.
        Last edited by gonehuntin68; 06-02-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
          They’re set screws holding the drum to the base by the lip on the drum. They don’t go into the drum. It’s seems very effective but I’m not sure how I feel about them.
          Thats a great idea, beats getting inside that drum and trying to tighten a nut, I will be using that idea on mine, i like the plate idea too. Awesome!
          Great job!

Comment

Nice design and build, that looks like it will do the job for sure. Good luck with it, and let us know how the spread pattern works out.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
              I hate to tell you this but some coons are going to be able reach the spinner plate. It will take them much more work to get corn out because only some will be able to barely reach the spinner plate. I know this because I had cages on 2 of my 55 gallon barrels that was the exact same width as the barrel and had 1 inch tall by 2 inch wide gaps in the cage and watched coons from stand while hog hunting still be able to spin the spinner plate. I had to go to 1/2 inch by 1 inch cages to fix it. Maybe you will get lucky and not have any long armed coons at your place like we do down here in Victoria, TX.

Other then that, your feeder looks great.
              They may be able to spin it but even if they can reach it, I bet it cuts down 75%+ of what they’re able to get out. I can deal with that much better than:
              A) having a basket that all the corn hits and piles up under the feeder
              B) coons freely/easily spinning the spinner and wasting a bunch of corn
              This is my prototype that I plan on altering after some time in the field. The next one will surely be better. We’ll see how it goes!

Comment

Great job!! Neat feeder project that is going to work nicely!

Comment

Working...
                X