• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    My brother ran strippers .
    yes I believe that

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
      So then, who is the "go to" for Cotton seed down south, Webb, Duval area? What's the going rate?
      Mill in battsville or 50lbs bags @ mummies in pearsall
      In sisterdale I buy @ strutty
      Also buy by the ton @ Speer

Comment

Just know if you’re buying it in 50 lb bags to are paying about double the rate of buying bulk. You’re also working a lot harder to fill your feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Just know if you’re buying it in 50 lb bags to are paying about double the rate of buying bulk. You’re also working a lot harder to fill your feeders.
          Paying double yes
          Working harder? I have spent some hours transferring from a tote to 5 gallon buckets then to basket, or shoveling from a trailer

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
            I have read that it makes the bucks sterile if they eat it and can be bad if they eat it during the rut.

Is this a real thing?

J

A friend of mine did a study on it at Kingsville about ten years ago, waiting her to send me a link of her thesis.

Pretty much they’d have to eat nothing but cottonseed to go sterile and even though they eat a lot of WSC they’re still gonna browse and that cancels the gossypol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              Paying double yes
              Working harder? I have spent some hours transferring from a tote to 5 gallon buckets then to basket, or shoveling from a trailer

Shoveling bulk cottonseed from a trailer of truck bed is much easier if you’re feeding a ton at a time like I do. Get a couple of big snow shovels and get after it.

Comment

Any cotton seed studies?

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
                So then, who is the "go to" for Cotton seed down south, Webb, Duval area? What's the going rate?
                Hartzendorf Gin, outside sinton north of I37

Last edited by Russ81; 12-07-2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Shoveling bulk cottonseed from a trailer of truck bed is much easier if you’re feeding a ton at a time like I do. Get a couple of big snow shovels and get after it.

yup... 50-60lbs sacks at a time at that price would suck

Comment

Do this if you have a tractor. Make your cotton seed feeder an oval shape the same width as your tractor bucket. Then use your tractor bucket and dump it in there. That's of course if your feeder isn't to far away.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      That's not good. I guess it's on to Mereta or Rowena ..and if it's up to $340 like above, I might just up my protein through my timed feeders and save my back from the shoveling.
                      There’s a cottonseed crushing mill on 83 I think south of Miles. That’s where all the seed is probably contracted to. They crush the oil out of the seed. Then they make make pellets out of the remaking product. It’s still really high in protein. My cousin buys it for his livestock. I think it might be worth looking into

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post

"My research suggests WCS may not be a viable supplemental feed in rangeland conditions."
                        Last edited by kyle1974; 12-08-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Any cotton seed studies?

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                          uhhh.......

"My research suggests WCS may not be a viable supplemental feed in rangeland conditions."

“Wild deer from WCS supplemented and unsupplemented pastures showed no differences in OEF, BM, or scrotal circumferences. Female and male wild deer consumed on average 125 and 428 g WCS/day, respectively. My research suggests WCS may not be a viable supplemental feed in rangeland conditions.”

Page 72 conclusion:
                          With high digestible energy and protein of WCS as compared to natural forages during these nutritionally stressing periods, feeding WCS may help post-rut bucks to recover body condition and weight lost from reproductive activities during late fall and early winter and also assist females in meeting elevated nutritional requirements of pregnancy during the spring’s late pregnancy and early lactation phases. However, data suggests that managers need to halt feeding supplemental WCS > 5 weeks before peak breeding period to ensure gossypol is completely removed from the deer’s system and the deer are not potentially suffering from gossypol intoxication, assuming deer are supplementing their diet with 50% WCS.

In other words from dietary it’s the same as protein. I looked at data from a lease I was on that had 4 years without a feed program and with 4 years with a program. It didn’t affect the young bucks or 6.5+ bucks. The 4.5-5.5 class had a bump up in weight and rack but not a leap and bound either to justify a feed program.

Last edited by Russ81; 12-08-2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                            “Wild deer from WCS supplemented and unsupplemented pastures showed no differences in OEF, BM, or scrotal circumferences. Female and male wild deer consumed on average 125 and 428 g WCS/day, respectively. My research suggests WCS may not be a viable supplemental feed in rangeland conditions.”

In other words from dietary it’s the same as protein. I looked at data from a lease I was on that had 4 years without a feed program and with 4 years with a program. It didn’t affect the young bucks or 6.5+ bucks. The 4.5-5.5 class had a bump up in weight and rack but not a leap and bound either to justify a feed program.

It seems to contradict a lot of observations.

one thing I've noticed is that a lot of deer do not eat it because they don't go in the feeder pens... especially really young bucks, and really old bucks. The young guys get ran off easily, and the old deer stay away from pens in general.

we've seen an increase in body fat though this year (first year that we've fed it)
                            Last edited by kyle1974; 12-08-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Any cotton seed studies?

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                              It seems to contradict a lot of observations.

one thing I've noticed is that a lot of deer do not eat it because they don't go in the feeder pens... especially really young bucks, and really old bucks. The young guys get ran off easily, and the old deer stay away from pens in general.

The lease I ran the numbers on when it went to feed protein made huge 60’ circle pens with 8-10 55gal drum protein feeders in each pen. Their theory was it spread the feed so one dominant buck couldn’t run other deer off and it worked, it was normal for 10-15 bucks eating at a time in those pens of all age classes because they had room to spread out.

Last edited by Russ81; 12-08-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X