help me disconnect from cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
    A lot of guys around here are going with Omnilyfe. They swear by it, no contracts, about $28 bucks a month and over 300 channels. I have not made the move yet but am thinking hard about it.
    Was just looking on their website. Looks great

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
        sick and tired of direct tv and all the cable companies ,what do I need to buy to watch tv local channels? or internet tv .an antenna? hulu? roku? voodoo? whoodoo?youdoo? be specific I am not very computer literate please help.......
        I quit cable tv about 5 years ago. I use the fastest internet that at&t has to offer., about $85/month. We have up to 3 computers streaming at one time.

Bought a set of rabbit ears with amplifier for each tv at about $40 each I think.

I have two monthly subs for Netflix -one to stream and another for one DVD at a time for about $20.00/month.

Only thing(s) i miss are no fox sports SW, discovery, history, and a few other select channels.

Not sory I quit that bill.

Comment

Is there a 'real' difference between Amazon Fire TV and Roku 3?

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
            Is there a 'real' difference between Amazon Fire TV and Roku 3?
            you can put kodi on amazon, but not on roku.
            roku has 3rd party channels though.
            imo kodi > 3rd party channels.

Comment

How can you get PPV events with one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                How can you get PPV events with one of these?
                once you get kodi there's a few add on for it that stream the ppv events

Comment

For local TV, get an antenna. Remember those rabbit ears? For Netflix and Hulu, etc you will need internet access. You'll be able to connect and watch movies directly from your smart TV or DVD player, etc.

Comment

Use a smart TV or Blu Ray and get Netflix and Hulu. That along with YouTube and other Web based shows should be all most people need.

I work for a small Internet CATV provider and the rates that we pay broadcaters(the large company's that own the TV networks) is growing at a staggering rate. We absorb some of the cost but are forced to pass some on to the customer. I believe that in 5-10 years traditional television will be almost non exsisitant.

Comment

Quit cables years ago... HD rabbit ears.. Get local channels and about 30 other channels. I found that the tv just kept me away from the wife. Half tempted to get rid the tv all together. Back to the basics men. God, family, other thing else God will put into place for you. Be blessed.

Comment

Check to see what restrictions you have from your internet service provider. Mine is capped at 300gb/month then have to pay if I go over that. When my kids were home at Christmas break from college I went over the 300gb for Dec and Jan. The snap chat and Netflix ate up a lot of data. I'm all for cutting the cord but if everything is to be streamed over the internet be prepared for your internet bill to go up too. I would recommend an antenna along with streaming. http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/ is a good source for everything OTA (over the air) broadcasting, just realize he is in the business of selling antennas so take it for what its worth.

My goal would be have a dual or quad OTA DVR setup to broadcast over my wifi network so that I could watch OTA shows over chromecast or smart TV. Looking into this, http://mymediaexperience.com/dvr-guide/ .

Comment

Tagged

Comment

To answer the OP question, you can buy a digital tv antenna and converter box for your tv.

There are multiple web sites that will estimate what local signals you can pickup at your home, here's one.

You need a special antenna on your roof, they look something like this. Disclaimer- I looked into it and just did my regular stop Direct TV and switch back to Uverse and back and forth.

Comment

Go for it dude. I left that sorry BS behind about three-four years ago. We have two young girls at home and are proud to say that they would rather play outside than watch the idiot box.

Get some rabbit ears and Netflix. You'll never regret the decision.

Comment

For yall running kodi on a jailbroken firestick, what all does it entail, do the programs/movies update themselves or do I need to do anything to get new shows?

Really interested in one.

Comment

Working...
                                X