No announcement yet.

2019/20 Duck Season - Official Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm temps and full moon probably had the birds going back north, at least north of where im at. Looks like another decent front should hit the week of the split so hopefully it will get another push down.

Im trying to go for the first time this weekend just to shoot some woodies or teal to get the dog some work

Comment

Originally posted by Tex21 View Post
      Warm temps and full moon probably had the birds going back north, at least north of where im at. Looks like another decent front should hit the week of the split so hopefully it will get another push down.

Im trying to go for the first time this weekend just to shoot some woodies or teal to get the dog some work
      27 years of being addicted to waterfowl hunting I still things that I cant explain.

One thing I've learned for sure in that time is you cant kill em if you are at home in bed. I'm gonna keep on taking the good with the bad and stay on the move trying to locate them if needed.

This weather is definitely not our norm and responsible for some of this.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
        Congrats on the hunt. Always nice to get uncommon birds! Got an oldsquaw a few years back. we have been staying on birds, but some days you better have your AAA game on hitting for limits.
        Wow. Was yours a drake?

I just dont understand why we get a disproportionate amount of hens with the unusual ducks.

I mean, if I'm gonna be lucky, I wanna be all out lucky and have a bird to send to the taxi.

Comment

Our season opens on Saturday. It should be pretty good, but you never know.

We had a lot of ducks a few weeks ago, but then that last front froze us over and we lost some. Seems like they’re filtering back in, though.

I’m looking forward to some grilled mallard breasts and duck gumbo!

Comment

If anyone in south Houston area want to join me on a guided duck hunt Friday morning give me a shout we have room for 3 more guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
              Wow. Was yours a drake?

I just dont understand why we get a disproportionate amount of hens with the unusual ducks.

I mean, if I'm gonna be lucky, I wanna be all out lucky and have a bird to send to the taxi.
              It was a young hen,but went to the taxi. Figured it would be the only one I ever kill. I like your thoughts on duck hunting, mine is the same. Gotta get out to get them. Good or bad killin day, they are all great days outdoors!!

Comment

We got the 3 spots filled y’all

Y’all get after them ol Wiley ducks now, got another cool front coming this weekend

Comment

Heading out tomorrow to scout the lower laguna Madre and will be hunting Saturday!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                    Heading out tomorrow to scout the lower laguna Madre and will be hunting Saturday!!!

Get em big dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                      27 years of being addicted to waterfowl hunting I still things that I cant explain.

One thing I've learned for sure in that time is you cant kill em if you are at home in bed. I'm gonna keep on taking the good with the bad and stay on the move trying to locate them if needed.

This weather is definitely not our norm and responsible for some of this.
                      I agree... Im just turn between ducks this weekend or trying to fill my last buck tag haha

Comment

I may have to haul the boat to the coast over xmas. Nothing going again this year in central TX.

Any of y'all duck hunt west bay?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunted Garwood this AM. Worst day yet. Hunted till 8:30. Had some stuff to do so quit early. I saw 10 specks flying & no ducks in that time. Didn't hear 50 shots all morning & there were 4 groups at least in hearing distance. When leaving saw about 20 specks in a ricefield & one big roost had at best what I would call a fair amount of ducks on it. Sure is sad to see the prairie with bird numbers like this.

Comment

Anyone down here in the valley that might be free tomorrow? May have a spot open on the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                              Hunted Garwood this AM. Worst day yet. Hunted till 8:30. Had some stuff to do so quit early. I saw 10 specks flying & no ducks in that time. Didn't hear 50 shots all morning & there were 4 groups at least in hearing distance. When leaving saw about 20 specks in a ricefield & one big roost had at best what I would call a fair amount of ducks on it. Sure is sad to see the prairie with bird numbers like this.
                              We need another arctic front. Birds are getting pretty stale.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post
                                We need another arctic front. Birds are getting pretty stale.
                                Yep.

We killed 20 today between 5 of us and was lucky to get that. Dead, not many birds flying at all.

I also got an 8 point while going 85 mph on interstate 10 at 430 am.

Extremely lucky damage was about 90 dollars worth of plastic parts and a ding in my chrome bumper. Chevy duramax, the heartbeat of America. Probably would have totaled a dodge or ford. Or brought on the dreaded death wobble.
                                He hit the interstate in a dead run, I tried to swerve and just centered him up instead of missing him. I'm not sure if he lost his footing or what but was extremely low when I hit him.

Pulled over to check truck and get diesel. Underneath the truck was coated in poop and hair. Smelled wonderful cooking on the exhaust. But was shocked at the lack of damage

So when I met everyone at the barn to hunt I just bypassed them and pulled out back on the wash slab and got after depooping my truck. The tailgate was covered in loose deer hair somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                X