No announcement yet.

Hunting/tracking dog opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love our Black And Tan on the track but our Boykin is one of the best all around breeds I have ever been around. Highly trainable, willing to learn and great drive. They can do just about anything you want with training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am addicted to catahoula's now. Just have had such good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jstamps50 View Post
        You have two lacy pups or laussie?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Blue Laussie-Dad is Lacy and Mom is Aussie.

The dad is my tracking dog. He’s a people pleaser and loves what he does. His mom and dad are both working dogs. From tracking to cow work and baying hogs. I’m not a hog dogger so I have never introduced that to him. The mom is out of working cow stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
          I'm glad to hear she is still tracking for you

One of my favorite memories at those seminars was seeing the look that poodle gave you when we took her over to the hog bay pen.

She was like "I came for the tracking, but I didn't sign up for this!"
          Yes that was great both my Poodles went into the pen it was a small hog but they still went in. lol

Comment

I like a dog with enough size and grit to STOP a wounded deer long enough for me to finish it. My Mal stopped and held several deer folks wounded that would of been unrecoverable without a good dog. She grabbed a 225# buck by the nose one day, got thrown off and grabbed him again and held on. Bad *** dog and deer. Old warrior with lots of scars.

Comment

We'll be looking to replace the family dog fairly soon. Any suggestions of breeds that would be trainable for tracking, good in the house, and not yappy towards the kids friends?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                Well guys I always catch hell but I have a standard poodle that worked out great for me. She has high drive always willing to please dose both ground and air scenting and was the easiest and smartest dog I have ever trained. At 62 I have trained a lot of k9s mostly Labs and GSD. Now she will not bay a wounded deer or hog but she sure will find the game you are looking for. Thanks to Rob - Atfuldraw and his tracking seminars she has been a great tracking dog for me.

Here is some info on the breed.

http://vipoodle.org/versatile-poodles/tracking-poodles/
                You catch hell from guys that do not know about Poodles. Some of the nicest dogs I have seen are poodles. My sister has a poodle mix that I guarantee will outwork the majority of labs that I have duck hunted with.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                  We'll be looking to replace the family dog fairly soon. Any suggestions of breeds that would be trainable for tracking, good in the house, and not yappy towards the kids friends?
                  Few breeds, but just depends on what you expect from the dog. Majority of dogs can track, but if they do not have the drive you can forget about it.

Dachshund or lab is what sparks the top for kid friends and stuff. But, I like my dachshund as she is docile and sweet towards everybody. Being my 2nd one I like them. But, labs are great as well. But, alot of the American working labs are unbearable in the house. That is why i have steered away from them.

Comment

I got my little tracker in July. I did a ton of research and decided on a wirehaired dachshund. I have buddies that have terriers which track great but are too high energy daily for my house. This little dachshund is the ticket. I do a couple tracks a week for him and I can't fool him. He has a heck of a nose. My dog has old German bloodlines from a very specialized breeder in NY. There are other good breeders though. I've been a lab guy for 30 years and this little dude has changed me. He's awesome. good luck with your search. Lots of good breeds.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                      A lot of truth here. I have a bloodhound, best nose in the business, zero drive. I'd be better off putting a gopher on a trail. Took her to a tracking event when she was a pup and the "trainers/teachers" (whatever you call the people putting it on) said she had one of the best noses they had seen, but she was nothing more than a biscuit hound. She has zero interest in finding what she's tracking. I think a dog with drive, could be a mutt, but with serious drive would be your best bet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
                      I’ve had a Rottweiler mix and a full blood Rottweiler and both would track but I actually think it was for the trimmings they got after finding it. My full blood would jump up and down to make more blood come out so he could drink it

Comment

Newt, the daddy of my pups found his first live deer today. Did a great job of baying. Little girls first deer.

Comment

Bavarian mountain would be great if the guy has pups

I love my jagd... But any driven dog can track

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                            I got my little tracker in July. I did a ton of research and decided on a wirehaired dachshund. I have buddies that have terriers which track great but are too high energy daily for my house. This little dachshund is the ticket. I do a couple tracks a week for him and I can't fool him. He has a heck of a nose. My dog has old German bloodlines from a very specialized breeder in NY. There are other good breeders though. I've been a lab guy for 30 years and this little dude has changed me. He's awesome. good luck with your search. Lots of good breeds.
                            My old dachshund “ ticket “ was a super good blood track dog
                            Found many a different deer for us on the briscoe in Webb county
                            I worried about him being to small to do the job, but that was short lived, I wouldn’t hesitate to use another one in the Deep South Texas brush , he was real go getter and a natural
                            And absolutely hated illegal immigrants
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-01-2019, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Bavarian Mountain Hounds are great family dogs. Not going to mean or nippy at kids. Can find deer, seems to come very natural to them, easy to start and train. I have pups due any hour now.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone44 View Post
                                Bavarian Mountain Hounds are great family dogs. Not going to mean or nippy at kids. Can find deer, seems to come very natural to them, easy to start and train. I have pups due any hour now.
                                What dog is the sire to your pups?

Comment

Working...
                                X