Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
    Not if you already own Them
    Own what? What are you getting at?

Comment

Stands, gear, huntin license, processing equipment. Stuff
      Like that buddy

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post

It's hard to keep a place with everything going without passion.
        Seem self inflicted. Make it simple. Why fill 18 feeders? If no one is helping no sense in having them a place to hunt. Set yourself up a couple of set ups and go on. And to make it even less do spot and stalk hunting. No feeders to fill, blinds to maintain, lanes to clear ect. Just spend your time out there enjoying it and not slaving away on stuff thats not neccesarily needed.

I did 2 separate 10 day out of state hunts this year. 10 days in alaska hunting caribou and 10 days in colorado hunting elk. It cost me 3k for both trips combined. 20 days of hunting in awesome places with buddies.
        In 2 weeks i will get to take my son on a texas youth hunt. 48 dollar public land permit and fuel to san angelo.
        Last edited by doublearrow; 10-29-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Finding a decent lease for under $10 per acre is not common.

And most people don't add in deer corn, protein, attractants like blocks, trail cameras, feeders, batteries, deer blinds. where or what they stay in, electricity, water, what they use to get around the ranch (that comes with all sorts of costs), .... This list could go on forever..like panels to keep hogs or cows away from feeders, fixing the camper or house.

I left out hunting supplies and work/labor on purpose. Some people like the work and you'll need the hunting supplies if you lease, hunt public, or do a day hunt.

I’m very fortunate that I don’t pay for a lease and hunt my dads properties but It’s still a big expense.

This year is the first year I will get off cheap because I am building a house.

3 years ago
          8k new AC and camp expansion
          2k dozer work
          2500 deer blind
          2k feed
          2k fuel, feeders and general hunting supplies
          850 mount and processing

2 years ago
          3k deer blind
          2k dozer work
          2k feed
          2k fuel, and general hunting supplies
          I also spent 9k on one rifle, mounts and glass
          850 mount and processing

Last year
          700 new feeder and new motor
          2k dozer work
          2k feed
          I also spent 4K on rifle as glass
          2018 Polaris ranger 1000
          1500 mount and processing

This year
          2k dozer work
          2k feed
          2k fuel and general hunting supplies
          Another 5k on new rifle and glass

That doesn’t count the 75k I spent on a truck to get me back and forth to the ranch in 2017 along with the maintenance driving 9k to 10k per year for the truck.

That’s just deer hunting not including the duck hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine comes close to 14k if you caculate trip cost. Last year with improvements to to the housing it was doubled. $30,000

I am cool with just a road feeder and a truck. It's only me and two friends on a rather large place in the hill country. Bring on other people would help cut that cost.

I will never buy hunting land. My brother did that and I have witnessed every penny being dumped into it. He should be reteired a long time ago. Like 10 years ago.

Comment

Btw I have no mortgage payment no truck payment no children to pay for collage ECT. I was furtunt to pay cash for everything and work my *** off to make a good income.

I can't afford it.. Sounds impossible but the numbers don't lie. Told a couple friends yesterday and they didn't believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                I did 2 separate 10 day out of state hunts this year. 10 days in alaska hunting caribou and 10 days in colorado hunting elk. It cost me 3k for both trips combined. 20 days of hunting in awesome places with buddies.
                In 2 weeks i will get to take my son on a texas youth hunt. 48 dollar public land permit and fuel to san angelo.
                Dude don't tell people that. You are going to ruin my hunting.

Seriously I would rather hunt a week in Colorado than an entire deer season in Texas. Climbing out of a tent in the dark, walking the mountains, seeing the sun rise through a pass, hearing or watching elk scream their face off, less than 100 yards from a screaming bull, it doesn't get much better than that. And all it costs is fuel, some one time purchases, a lot of desk scouting, and then lots of sweat and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by bk913 View Post
                  It’s not a cheap hobby and it’s not for everybody. I do think what has become considered as “must haves” for Texas hunting is pretty ridiculous.
                  Yes sir.

If people.actually wanted to hunt the hunting would be the cost of the lease and a good comfortable portable chair.

People make it much more expensive than it has to be. Year round feed is 100% waste of money, lease transportation if funny as well.
                  But, the folks that spend 10k or more a year probably are not the folks complaining about the cost.

Comment

Sounds like you need to trade hunting and filling feeders for something less expensive. May I suggest hookers and blow? :-)

Comment

Every hobby is expensive, My dad gave up hunting a few years ago for different reasons but he bought a Harley and rides it from state to state. He said its no cheaper once you figure in the cost of the bike, Hotels, and food. Do what you enjoy...if you don't enjoy it go do something else.

Comment

I never did the math, but I gave up leasing for the last two years and only hunt a pair of local properties for free. All I have is a minimal corn bill, and a short commute. Man have I saved the money over these two years lol!! Plus, one of my properties produced my biggest WT to date.

With that said, I do miss the lease life very much. The camaraderie around camp, the excitement shared when a hoss is brought into camp. Plus, I want to raise my kids on a lease just as I did, and see their excitement grow for hunting.

Comment

Doesn't have to be so complicated . Downsize, heck no help? That's pretty ****ty. no help no hunt in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                            I’m very fortunate that I don’t pay for a lease and hunt my dads properties but It’s still a big expense.

This year is the first year I will get off cheap because I am building a house.

3 years ago
                            8k new AC and camp expansion
                            2k dozer work
                            2500 deer blind
                            2k feed
                            2k fuel, feeders and general hunting supplies
                            850 mount and processing

2 years ago
                            3k deer blind
                            2k dozer work
                            2k feed
                            I also spent 9k on one rifle, mounts and glass
                            850 mount and processing

Last year
                            700 new feeder and new motor
                            2k dozer work
                            2k feed
                            I also spent 4K on rifle as glass
                            2018 Polaris ranger 1000
                            1500 mount and processing

This year
                            2k dozer work
                            2k feed
                            2k fuel and general hunting supplies
                            Another 5k on new rifle and glass

That doesn’t count the 75k I spent on a truck to get me back and forth to the ranch in 2017 along with the maintenance driving 9k to 10k per year for the truck.

That’s just deer hunting not including the duck hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            The reality is that you don’t HAVE do you have any of the above, every individual has a choice! I don’t like to see people walk away from hunting because of the cost associated with it when the vast majority of the cost can be avoided! I’m not by any means bashing what you spend your money on, I’m just saying that the average Joe cannot afford the above it doesn’t have to be discouraged!

Comment

The deer hunting is my cheapest expense.

It's all the beer that gets drank that makes my wallet cry

Comment

mine totals out at about $15k/yr but since I own the land I actually spend $7k on travel/feed/food and $8-15k on the land because I make extra payments. but even then its less than 10% of my income

Comment

Working...
                                X