Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mabank/Eustace to Quinlan area deer hunting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mabank/Eustace to Quinlan area deer hunting???

I took a drive yesterday through the countryside from Purtis Creek State Park north through Wills Point and to Quinlan then over to Rowlett. Very pretty drive, lots of healthy looking pastures and hay fields with enough brush and trees to create what appeared to be good habitat for whitetails. Who has hunted this area of Kaufman County, Hunt County and eastern Van Zandt counties and what are general thoughts on your experiences hunting here? What is quality of antlers and quantity of deer in this area? What's the overall hunting pressure like and did you enjoy hunting the area? Thanks for the feedback, folks, its appreciated. The wife and I always talk about wanting to move out of the city before our children become school age, and I could easily commute a little less than an hour, so I thought I'd try to find out a little more about this area just east of Dallas.

A few pockets of good deer, however overall not many deer. Some areas no deer. LOTS of hogs.

Comment

I own a total of 108 acres in Fruitvale. Great habit but a lot of poachers. I am related to at least a few of them. If you could find a big enough place to control the population and keep out poachers it would be paradise. We hope to move down there this year and I am sure I will have a few feeders going but I will still go to the hill country for my serious hunting.

-john

Comment

I have seen some monsters off 175 near the Kemp exit. I've seen a quite a few hogs heading from Mabank back to Rockwall, most were dead on the side of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by BtheBuck View Post
          I have seen some monsters off 175 near the Kemp exit. I've seen a quite a few hogs heading from Mabank back to Rockwall, most were dead on the side of the road.
          Monster pigs! No big bucks around these parts!

Comment

I see a lot of deer between Quinlan and Terrell off of 34. I was driving through rabbit cove in W.tawakoni the other night and there were probably 20 deer grazing in people's yards. Kinda like they said above^^ some areas lots of deer and some not so much.

Comment

thanks guys, its surprisingly affordable land out that way. I'm also looking at Grayson county, but that's a bit more expensive and would probably be an extra 20 minutes on the commute unless I got a job more on the north side of the metroplex. the hunting in grayson county could be top notch, though.
              Last edited by rattler03; 01-30-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

anybody else care to drop in and share a bit of their experiences hunting in this area?

Comment

If I were looking within 40 miles of Terrell for good deer numbers where would you recommend?

Comment

Some trophy pot and meth heads in the area

Comment

I live on the east side of Cedar Creek lake and used to hunt the Kaufman-Van Zandt county line off of FM 90 until the landowner sold out. Good deer but we had a BIG problem with hog doggers thinking the owned the county.
                      There are pockets of good hunting but you really do have to have a fairly large property. There are lots of small places and a lot of pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                        Some trophy pot and meth heads in the area
                        Yep...Cedar Creek Lake is well known as Speeder Creek lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman7 View Post
                          If I were looking within 40 miles of Terrell for good deer numbers where would you recommend?
                          Poetry has a lot of big deer.

Comment

No deer here !

Comment

This is a poetry deer

Click image for larger version

Name:	B607C0D4-FD68-4D29-B900-3D4BD4D89B05.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	24563358

Comment

Working...