Rental property owners....question for ya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental property owners....question for ya

I’ve been renting my current home for a little over two years now. About three weeks ago we had a really bad storm roll through and it ripped the gate to the back yard fence off it’s hinges. Fence is originally from 2005, so it needed some work anyways, but that’s not really what’s important.

I emailed photos of the gate, and texted photos to the owner, they responded in 3 days or so, which is acceptable, asking for more details on how and when it happened. I gladly explained the situation again via email and text message to which they replied they would have it taken care of.

No one has come to look at the gate or fix it, and I have two dogs, one of which is aggressive towards people that he doesn’t know.

What I am wanting to know, is what is a reasonable amount of time to allow the homeowner for this repair? Nothing bad or anything has happened at this point, and I am making sure to be outside with the dogs for potty time and play time. I’ve also rigged the fence to be somewhat in place with the use of cinder blocks I had lying around.

I am not going to fix the gate myself, as I replaced an entire section of the fence that was damaged during a storm from a year ago with her permission, and when it came time to ask for reimbursement, she said I had permission to replace the fence, not to deduct it from the monthly rent.

I have never missed or been late on a payment and the house is in better condition at this point than when I took the lease over. I’m very much a pacifist and do not want to start any trouble, I generally like the house and the location. Also finding another place at this point in time would be kind of a nightmare with the Covid situation coupled with the fact that I work in oil and gas.

So to reiterate, it’s been about a week and a half, maybe two weeks since they said they would have it fixed, but radio silence from them and no one has even come to take measurements or anything like that.

What is my best course of action and what is the best way to keep the renter/landlord “relationship” kosher for the foreseeable future?

Thanks in advance
    Jake

Sounds like a bad landlord to me. Back when I managed my own properties, I would have had that fence fixed within 24 hours.

I’d call them and ask for an estimate on when it would be repaired.

Comment

Jake, some landlords suck and yours sounds like one of them. I would say fix it yourself and let it go so you do t have to hassle with your dogs getting loose.

Maybe time to look for your own place or another rental.

All some folks care about is getting your monthly rent check.

Comment

I would replace the gate just to ease my mind over the safety of my dogs. Plus I wouldn't want my dog to get aggressive with the owner or their workers and stir up more drama...

Comment

Is it written in the lease that the owner will upkeep the fence for your dogs? Or that they will have a fence at all? Could she decide to just take the entire fence down?

Comment

Id fix it myself and see about being reimbursed.

Just seems the fast easy thing to do and would be the quickest solution to having the dogs secured.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Is it written in the lease that the owner will upkeep the fence for your dogs? Or that they will have a fence at all? Could she decide to just take the entire fence down?
              I was thinking the same thing. Would be easier for a landlord to tear the fence down.

Comment

I did find a new place to live and I would take the part of the fence that you paid for with you!

Comment

Have you had any issues in the past you asked them to fix? how did they respond?

I would just call the landlord and ask them the status nicely. They may have something going on in their lives and not have taken care of it as promptly as they should have, then you can start looking at contracts and worrying about them tearing down fencing and all that if you don't get a reasonable response from them.

Comment

Just fix it and let her know. My renter call me and that's easy enuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s likely they have filed a claim with insurance and are awaiting an adjuster. The response time sucks right now.
                      Still should put up a temporary fix...

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        Just went through the contract and the only mention of fence/gate in the contract is that I am not allowed to lock the gate to prevent access to landlord at any time. Nothing about damages to anything or who is responsible. Probably should have read that closer. I think that gives me the answer I needed.

Comment

If you're in an HOA type place, go to a junk yard & find the most awful colored hood off a piece of junk car & use it for a gate. HOA will get some action from owner.

Comment

Fences are expensive, so your landlord is prob not prepared for the expense. Also your landlord could be trying to use his homeowners insurance to cover the damages by the storm to the fence. Even building a fence myself, it takes about 2 weeks. Im not sure if your landlord works or not. But materials have to be purchased, delivered, unloaded, old posts have to be dug out of they snapped at the base. A fence is not a simple job. So just reach out to your landlord and say you wanted to touch base with them to see what the status of having the fence put back up was. Theres alot of variables to the situation. Your a renter and you do need your fence put up, but theres 2 sides to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                              Fences are expensive, so your landlord is prob not prepared for the expense. Also your landlord could be trying to use his homeowners insurance to cover the damages by the storm to the fence. Even building a fence myself, it takes about 2 weeks. Im not sure if your landlord works or not. But materials have to be purchased, delivered, unloaded, old posts have to be dug out of they snapped at the base. A fence is not a simple job. So just reach out to your landlord and say you wanted to touch base with them to see what the status of having the fence put back up was. Theres alot of variables to the situation. Your a renter and you do need your fence put up, but theres 2 sides to the story.
                              Its just a gate...Who makes an insurance claim for just a gate?

Comment

Working...
                              X