No announcement yet.

3D print much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need something 3D printed, what do you need from me?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      I need something 3D printed, what do you need from me?
      To print something I need some kind of a 3D file. The most commonly used one is STL format, but there are others. Once I get that, we just run it through a program and then get the printer going.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
        To print something I need some kind of a 3D file. The most commonly used one is STL format, but there are others. Once I get that, we just run it through a program and then get the printer going.
        I have no files or blueprint, just the part. I need a duplicate.

Comment

Print hard to find ABS fishing reel parts.....like the **** replacement tension knobs for the ol green Curado's.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            I have no files or blueprint, just the part. I need a duplicate.
            No biggie, I'm fairly skilled at 3D modelling. If you could DM some pictures of the part I could get an idea of what needs doing.

Comment

Most of my professional experience is in Catia V5, but that's a prohibitively expensive program to use for anything other than aerospace and automotive, haha.

There are a bunch actually; some are really neat and well designed. I was contacted about making some when they first started talking about lockdowns a couple months back. I must have offended them though. I'm not sure what I did, but I think it was either asking them to pay for my material cost or pointing out that in the time it would take for me to make 9 of them they could cut a mold and pump out hundreds or thousands an hour. As if 75 cents worth of plastic per mask is going to put a freakin hospital or carenow out of business. They're probably getting a few hundred bucks just for someone to come in and take a test.

Yes, do tell. To quote my favorite Mike Judge movie, "I like money".
              Well there is a constant need to handle artifacts tto be studied.. Sending rare artifacts through the mail just isn't a consideration. A perfectly printed replica would provide the same study info without risk of damaging the artifact. Casts are often made for this purpose.

Another thing is when an artifact is sold the seller would like a 3 d print of the artifact he found to keep.

Do you have a really good 3d scanner?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Well there is a constant need to handle artifacts tto be studied.. Sending rare artifacts through the mail just isn't a consideration. A perfectly printed replica would provide the same study info without risk of damaging the artifact. Casts are often made for this purpose.

Another thing is when an artifact is sold the seller would like a 3 d print of the artifact he found to keep.

Do you have a really good 3d scanner?
                I don't have a scanner. They're relatively expensive, especially if you want to pick up good detail, and they're so specialized I can't bring myself to buy one haha.

My favorite things to print are 3D scanned items though. I've got a handful of dinosaur skulls sitting on my desk that were scanned from actual fossils.

You just reminded me, another source for 3D files is from medical scans. I'm not familiar with the data processing required, but it's becoming more common in the medical field to take a scan of someone and print it out on one of the new full color printers. Then the doctors can actual hold in their hands what they have to work with for a surgery or something. It's really very cool.

And now I've just had another thought. A bunch of yall here probably have trophy mounts you're particularly proud of. It's possible to run them through a 3D scanner to get a file that is printable. Then you can have your own trophy made into all kinds of stuff like a custom hood ornament, jewelry, gear shifter knob, pistol grips, etc, etc. I think I'll dig more into this idea and if it looks cool I'll start another thread on this.

Comment

I need a 5” round x 1” tall part printed. I have the solidworks 3D drawing if anyone is down for it. Kparker158@yahoo.com is my email. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                    I need a 5” round x 1” tall part printed. I have the solidworks 3D drawing if anyone is down for it. Kparker158@yahoo.com is my email. Thanks.
                    Email sent

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

What printer are you using?

Comment

You should invest in a good scanner.

Comment

What about the yeti replacement mag sliders?

Project & Support Moved This project and it's continued support have moved to Josef Prusa's https://www.printables.com/. I will no longer be updating items here, and may not respond to comments or questions. Please visit the link below for the latest version:https://www.printables.com/model/157134-yeti-magslider-replacement Summary **UPDATED TO INCLUDE VENTILATION SLOTS Since Yeti keeps running out of stock for their MagSlider replacements, I decided to model up my own. This part is a direct replacement for the slider on your Yeti cups that keeps flying off and getting lost. You will need a 5 mm x 3 mm round neodymium magnet. I used the magnets found in the Amazon link below, but any same-size magnet will do: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1PNFG3?&linkCode=sl1&tag=loidoltdesign-20&linkId=9a54c5906814521e0340c200f6e8a0d0&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl You can also easily modify the Fusion 360 file to use any magnet size you want (as long as it fits within the volume of the slider). The last sketch and extrusion in the file sets the size and depth of the magnet pocket.

I sent you a PM as well.

Thanks!

Jason Slocum

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            I think there is money to be made printing Indian artifacts for study
                            Check out HuntPrimitive on youtube and instagram. Pretty cool guy that does a lot of study on ancient technologies, including lithic castings for educational purposes.

Comment

You just reminded me, another source for 3D files is from medical scans. I'm not familiar with the data processing required, but it's becoming more common in the medical field to take a scan of someone and print it out on one of the new full color printers. Then the doctors can actual hold in their hands what they have to work with for a surgery or something. It's really very cool.
                              yeah, some amazing things have been down with Scanner/Printer combos, I had a buddy in college who did exactly what you're talking about. He interned with a Plastic surgeon that would print facial bone fragment pieces for reconstructive surgeries for soldiers involved in IED explosions, major car accident victims, etc. They'd scan the patients then he'd print out the pieces so the surgeons could handle the pieces and put the puzzle back together as best as possible before going in there. Thought it was a really cool engineering Internship.
                              Last edited by Aggie13; 11-03-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X