Cajun History Lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cajun History Lesson

Note: See also my new blog article on this topic, titled  More on That Word "Coonass": A Labor Dispute Trial Documents Its Use in 1940 . ...

Interesting...

Comment

Hmm. I was always told the name came from, the only thing they wouldn't put in a pot of gumbo. But I knew that was a lie.

Comment

Well, this South Louisiana boy learned something new today! And I'm proud to say that I speak French (almost fluently) because of Barry Ancelet's wife, Caroline Ancelet. She taught me french in high school and I continued my studies at Université Ste. Anne in Church Point, Nova Scotia. Across the street from the University was a grave yard with a ton of familiar names, just without the 'X' at the end. Nova Scotia is where many of our South Louisiana ancestors came from. Just like we refer to the Lafayette region as Acadiana, they referred to their region as Acadie.

Thanks for sharing this fun history lesson.

Comment

Seems to be a term of endearment. Wear it proudly

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
            Well, this South Louisiana boy learned something new today! And I'm proud to say that I speak French (almost fluently) because of Barry Ancelet's wife, Caroline Ancelet. She taught me french in high school and I continued my studies at Université Ste. Anne in Church Point, Nova Scotia. Across the street from the University was a grave yard with a ton of familiar names, just without the 'X' at the end. Nova Scotia is where many of our South Louisiana ancestors came from. Just like we refer to the Lafayette region as Acadiana, they referred to their region as Acadie.

Thanks for sharing this fun history lesson.
            My mom's maiden name is Charrier and is from Bunkie. She could not speak English until the third grade. They threatened to not move her up a grade until she learned some English.

Comment

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                My mom's maiden name is Charrier and is from Bunkie. She could not speak English until the third grade. They threatened to not move her up a grade until she learned some English.
                Oh yeah, my grandmother had the same story. She grew up speaking French and got in trouble for it. She was born in 1928. Her maiden name was Moreau.

My other grandmother also spoke French. She was born in 1917. Her maiden name was Olivier.

When I told my grandmother that I was going to a french immersion school that would kick me out for speaking english, she told me "if they kick you out, tell them 'va caca'." Being young and dumb, I asked her what that meant, she smiled and said 'go sh*t'. :-)

That's one of my favorite conversations with my grandmother.

Comment

Oh yeah, my grandmother had the same story. She grew up speaking French and got in trouble for it. She was born in 1928. Her maiden name was Moreau.

My other grandmother also spoke French. She was born in 1917. Her maiden name was Olivier.

When I told my grandmother that I was going to a french immersion school that would kick me out for speaking english, she told me "if they kick you out, tell them 'va caca'." Being young and dumb, I asked her what that meant, she smiled and said 'go sh*t'. :-)

That's one of my favorite conversations with my grandmother.
                  The Cajun dialect is dying out at our family get togethers. But, I can remember so many good Cajun speakers at our holiday gatherings and only knowing half of what they sere saying. But, as you listened you could slowly pick up more as the tales went on. I would give anything to relive those days.

I will retire in the next 5-6 years. I constantly find myself online looking for property and a small Acadian style home in the La. countryside to spend the rest of my years around a bayou and some big oaks.

The older I get the more I realize the less I need. I have cast iron pots and hand me down tools and guns that mean more to me than the new home I built and nice vehicles.

Comment

The Cajun dialect is dying out at our family get togethers. But, I can remember so many good Cajun speakers at our holiday gatherings and only knowing half of what they sere saying. But, as you listened you could slowly pick up more as the tales went on. I would give anything to relive those days.

I will retire in the next 5-6 years. I constantly find myself online looking for property and a small Acadian style home in the La. countryside to spend the rest of my years around a bayou and some big oaks.

The older I get the more I realize the less I need. I have cast iron pots and hand me down tools and guns that mean more to me than the new home I built and nice vehicles.
                    My Grandpa was fluent living in Abbeville. My dad understood the language but rarely would try to communicate that way. I know very little myself. Thanks for sharing brother.

Comment

Thats interesting. Creole family with a little cajun mixed in. Coon-*** was a derogatory term for my patents and grandparents. I was told that it was from them always wearing coon skin hats.

Comment

When gas is not $4+/gal we love to take the longest way home possible and find all of the back roads that run along a bayou. So fun to drive by and dream about the kind of place that you're talking about.

Comment

When gas is not $4+/gal we love to take the longest way home possible and find all of the back roads that run along a bayou. So fun to drive by and dream about the kind of place that you're talking about.
                          I was raised on Bayou Boeuf. Running yo yo's, trot lines, crawfish traps, hoop nets, and shooting wood ducks all within a couple of hundred yards from the house.

Comment

I was raised on Bayou Boeuf. Running yo yo's, trot lines, crawfish traps, hoop nets, and shooting wood ducks all within a couple of hundred yards from the house.
                            Nice! I grew up in a coulee in St. Landry parish. Later moved to Lafayette. Coulee changed from mud to concrete, but still found my way around with fishing poles, cast nets, and pellet guns. I'm really good at riding a bike with one leg on the peddle and the other leg straight stiff with a pellet gun hiding in my jeans :-)

Comment

Yo-Yos. Hadn’t thought of those in years. I bet them gators would turn em inside out.

Comment

Working...
                              X