Burnet County Wide Buck (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnet County Wide Buck (pic heavy)

I hunt in Burnet county on family land and have been seeing some pretty good deer on my trail camera since mid-July. Of course as the season approached those pictures became fewer and more scattered. No doubt the causes were the few million acorns on the ground, a pair of relentless horses (who love camping out under my feeder), and some really warm temperatures made the first couple weeks of season pretty rough. In fact last Saturday I sat for 9.5 hours on stand and did not see a single deer. Oh well, that’s why they call it hunting. Last week during all the rain I walked out to swap out my trail camera card and see what was coming in. Boy was I shocked. There was a very good wide buck, one I hadn’t seen before, and I immediately knew he was the buck I was going to be after this year. All the pics of him were of him coming in from the south, making the North wind really tough to hunt him with my setup. But, yesterday evening the wind was slightly better at ENE, so I pulled on rubber boots and wadded through the mud to give it a whirl. I climbed into tree stand at 4:15. I had no action until the dinner bell threw at 6:02 (I have been needing to get out there and set the time to throw earlier but It has been too wet to get there except on foot.) Approximately three minutes after the feeder went off; I hear footsteps in the water and mud. Since this was directly downwind from me I was expecting my brother’s horses as they have visited me on all but one hunt so far this year. So I was preparing to do my typical clapping and growling routine to run them off. Luckily this time it wasn’t them, it was a nice young 9 point. He was pretty, with nice antlers, but definitely too young to shoot. He ate for a couple of minutes then kept looking back the way he came in from. Then I heard more loud water and mud noise coming from downwind. Again, thinking this would be the horses ruining my hunt, I waited for the inevitable to happen. But to my surprise instead, I see through the brush a very wide set of antlers. At this point I know this is a shooter so I get ready, just waiting for him to clear into my shooting lane. As he came in I drew, and just as I was settling my pin on him, he turned quartered away from me. I adjusted my aim to hit the opposite shoulder and let the slick trick fly. He immediately hunched up and I could see blood pouring out of him as he ran out into a big open drainage. As he ran I could see his wide antlers from behind and I started to second guess myself. However, just on the edge of the drainage I saw him stop and drop. He tried one more time to get up, but he expired halfway up. This is absolutely my best buck and one of my favorite hunts of all time. Here are some pics of him.....I even smiled in one!
    Attached Files

Nice buck!!! Congrats.

Comment

Heck yeah congrats

Comment

nice buck congrats

Comment

Very nice buck, congratulations! I killed one similar to that one in Burnet county a few years back. I think it was 22" inside, the ranch I killed it on is now the new Black Buck Ridge subdivision next to the old Goodrich ranch.

Comment

Congrats on the wide buck! Very nice!

Comment

Congrats, that's a sweet buck

Comment

Great buck. Nice shot.

Comment

Congrats! Burnet county is giving up some nice deer this year!

Comment

Dude is wide! Congratulations!

Comment

Way to go man. Great Burnet County buck. Congrats.

Comment

nice buck

Comment

Great buck.
                          Good job!!!

Comment

Great deer congrats!!

Comment

Nice!
                              Congrats.

Comment

Working...