No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Video!! Hey Elgato would you mind posting some of the bucks y’all took down there this year.

Comment

Great video again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How has the livestock termination and spring plots gone? Do you think by the cows eating the fall crop therefore no thatch layer that it will adversely affect moisture retention in the hot dry months.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
          How has the livestock termination and spring plots gone? Do you think by the cows eating the fall crop therefore no thatch layer that it will adversely affect moisture retention in the hot dry months.
          I thought terminating the plots with livestock worked great. Relatively clean field to plant into. Got some ryegrass Regen which didn't last long as it went to seed and actually help protect seedlings.

The lesson to be learned from this is that May was unusually hot and dry so much germination was stalled until rains this week. That left much of the soil uncovered which I don't like. The trade off is the manure all over the field. Time will tell the effects. On net...for now...I like what I see but will report as fields grow.

The other lesson as we all know is that every year is different and requires adaptability to changing conditions. Glad I don't have to make a living as a crop farmer.

Comment

Bumping it back up, how are the plots doing?

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              Bumping it back up, how are the plots doing?
              In a word..." pathetic'. Probably the worst summer plots I have ever had. Planted first of May into weak moisture. Then zero rain all of May with much higher than typical temps. What little germinated fizzled out. Then received couple rains totaling about 2 1/2 " . Got a little more germination but it hasn't rained since { 3 weeks?} . Cultivars popped up but now are sitting there frying. As might be expected native grasses and weeds are less effected by drought and are choking what few things are trying to grow.

Unfortunately not a valid test to see how terminating plots with cows for summer planting works. My neighbor and everyone I know in the neighborhood has had the same results.

Comment

how are the goats doing clearing out the under brush?

Comment

Encouraging start. Still time for bit more growth.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                    how are the goats doing clearing out the under brush?
                    I have moved the goats across the farm couple times and now have pulled them back to barn. Gonna sell them all. From a business perspective they require too much labor which distracts labor I have from more profitable pursuits.

I like what the goats did ecologically. They browsed brush back but didn't kill it. Lots of fresh new growth after we moved them . Key is to move them every 3-4 days . But again from a labor standpoint along with having to check them monthly for paracites and hoof issues not the best business plan at this time. May well bring goats back as infrastructure matures.

Very happy with the cows and am already seeing positive impact on fields where I mob graze them.

Comment

That buck has lots of stuff going on. It will be interesting to see what he does. Keep us updated on the cow mob grazing. I don’t know anything about goats but the cattle mob grazing is interesting to me.

Comment

Thanks for the update El Gato.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                          Encouraging start. Still time for bit more growth.
                          Love those flyers and drops.

Comment

I would call that deer Hat Rack. You could hang an entire cap collection on those flyers!

Comment

For chuckles, this is what the buck in the above photo looked like last yr. Candidly unsure of his age. Couldn't tell if he was a blossoming 4 yr old last yr. or much older. Will be curious to see what his body looks like in October. may give clues.
                              Attached Files

Comment

He has those old man eyes and body this year. Not so much last year. Also those drops look like beam length lat year. This year they look like drops off the beam.

Great deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X