2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    Where are you allowing them to ripen. Outside or inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside on a table. I get cardboard flats and spread them out on the table.

Comment

Thanks guys. I’ve let them sit inside on my counter in the past but wasn’t sure that was the best approach.

Any answers to what caused the damage to the tomato pic I posted?

Comment

I’m guessing a bug at the early growth stage. [emoji2369]

Comment

Ok next question, my cucumber plant have been putting out a ton of blooms but only a small percentage are turning into cukes. I have noticed the leaves on the very bottom have died and this just above have turned yellow. The rest of the plants seem to be thriving. Any ideas?

I appreciate all the advice given so far.

Comment

2022 Gardening Thread

And the next[emoji3], on this zucchini plant it was producing well but the last week or so it is producing a very stunted zucchini that turns yellow. The ones in the pic are probably 3-4” long.

Comment

Ok next question, my cucumber plant have been putting out a ton of blooms but only a small percentage are turning into cukes. I have noticed the leaves on the very bottom have died and this just above have turned yellow. The rest of the plants seem to be thriving. Any ideas?

maybe this....[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vng4bxhthdU"]Hand Pollinating Cucumbers || Black Gumbo - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Got a late start so just now seeing some results… small but going to make some tasty salsa
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                  This makes sense. I was seeing bees early on and the vines were producing well. I havent seen the bees in at least a week and a half to two weeks. Im going to get after this today! Thank you.

Comment

I thought the same thing in the past years. Below is what I found out from some research. Long story short there are alot more male blooms than female.

The male cucumber flower begins to open nearly ten days earlier than the female flower bud. For each female flower that blooms on the cucumber plant, there will be ten to twenty male flowers present

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                      I thought the same thing in the past years. Below is what I found out from some research. Long story short there are alot more male blooms than female.

The male cucumber flower begins to open nearly ten days earlier than the female flower bud. For each female flower that blooms on the cucumber plant, there will be ten to twenty male flowers present
                      I just went out and looked and was coming back to report my findings......my plants are definitely of the sausage fest genetics! Your post is spot on with my plants.

Comment

I just went out and looked and was coming back to report my findings......my plants are definitely of the sausage fest genetics! Your post is spot on with my plants.
                        Its rough out there for male cucumbers out there. Supply is much larger than demand lol.

Comment

Richard, one of the drawbacks to planting only a few cuke plants in a raised bed or bag, etc. is that many of the varieties of cukes today are Gynoecious plants. That means they only produce female flowers. In order to germinate, the seed suppliers will put a few seeds in the packet that are of a similar variety (pickling, slicing, burpless, etc.) that are not Gynoecious to make sure there are male blossoms available. If you plant 3 or 4 plants/seeds and don't happen to get one of the male producing plants, you'll have a bunch of tiny cukes and no germination... This happened to us this year! The only thing that saved us is my wife planted several plants in a bag that she always has grown in the past and they are not of the Gynoecious variety, so now that the plants are all growing wildly, we are about to have more cukes than we will know what to do with!! Those pickling cukes have hundreds of tiny little female cuke flowers... I just need more bees!!

Comment

Oh yea, my grandsons brought out their Bug-a-salt's this weekend!! There was carnage!! And agreed... there's no possibility of LDP's... Literally ain't nuthin' left!! Got a couple squash bugs (stinkers), one borer fly... Those suckers are stealthy! and several "unknowns"... Told the boys any bug that was sitting and not buzzing around like a bee was fair game except round red lady bugs... A couple squash were sacrificed... bug happened to be sitting on them... now just a salty hole in the squash...

Comment

Yes sir, after hearing about all this bug a salt gun fun, Im going to break mine out this evening. If it is a bee or a lady bug it is going to die. Ive been killing my bugs by hand but Im probably only successful 1 out of 3 attempts. The bug a salt gun should be close to 100%. My bird netting came in so I may attempt to get it up this evening as well.

Comment

Yes sir, after hearing about all this bug a salt gun fun, Im going to break mine out this evening. If it is NOT a bee or a lady bug it is going to die. Ive been killing my bugs by hand but Im probably only successful 1 out of 3 attempts. The bug a salt gun should be close to 100%. My bird netting came in so I may attempt to get it up this evening as well.

You made a typo, right? I fix'd it fer ya...

Comment

Working...
                                X