Master's Degree. Yes or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
    I got my masters and then a couple years later my wife got her's. We had both our kids before I started working on mine. When I got mine there were no online options. I had to drive an hour each way for classes 2-3 evenings a week. By the time my wife started her's there were online options and she did all of her's online.

Here is my advice. First of all, don't do it just to do it. IMO this is a business decision. If it is required, as it was for me, or if it will put you into the position you want to be in both for income level and for advancement opportunities then do it. If you are doing it just because you feel like it's a personal achievement deal, like my wife did, don't do it. You are wasting time and money.

Second thing, if you are going to do it DO IT. Get in, bust azz and get it done. One class a semester will stretch it out and keep everyone miserable for far too long. it's tough with a family and especially with little kids but just suck it up, get everyone on board and get it done.

Last thing, the online courses my wife took were the greatest thing ever. There is more busy work and the discussion stuff is a pain but overall it was so much easier. She was able to work on it whenever she had some free time. She set aside her sunday evenings to work on projects and keep caught up. It was so, so much more convenient than driving an hour, sitting in class for 2 hours and driving back home for an hour. I'd often get home at 10 pm or later and didn't even get to see my kids that day. So if there is an online option, consider it strongly.

I know lots of people who got their masters or doctorate who have not needed or used it. That is a huge waste of time and money. To me your undergrad is the price of admission. You just need to go do that to get into a whole lot of professions. Graduate degrees you need to decide on based on your own goals and income potential.
    See post#98.

Comment

My oldest daughter just got her master's in nursing and taking the boards soon for a NP. My youngest just started her MBA for project management. They are both single mothers with full time jobs, it can be done if you are willing to put forth the effort.

Comment

In a word, yes.
        Work sponsorship and support is a huge benefit and it could pay dividends the rest of your life. It's also not as simple as how much more money will you make. I don't know about a business degree-- most business grads tell me they didn't try hard or learn anything in business school, but an engineering/science masters will teach you critical thinking and problem solving skills that will improve your life and value.
        Like anything, you get out of it what you put in.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
          See post#98.
          Took my advice quickly and all turned out well I see. Congrats!

Comment

I have a Master's degree. Did I learn some things that were useful in my career, yes. Did the degree in and of itself ever open additional doors or lead to a better paying job, I cannot really make that connection.
            My work ethic, my ability to give my previous employers what they wanted/needed from me and my self immersion into my industry (my desire to become an expert at what I do and translate that into results) are the things that propelled my career.
            It's not ever a bad idea to advance your education. There are MANY good outcomes secondary to obtaining an advance degree. But at the end of the day I think your future success will be based more on your ability as an employee and not pieces of paper on the wall.
            I employ roughly 900 folks at 11 different locations. Of those 27 would be key leadership positions that on average command a 6 figure salary. 7-8 have masters degrees. Those 7-8 aren't anymore or less effective than the rest of the group.

Comment

I just finished mine

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                Congratulations to you and your spouse for making it this far. Never forget that this is as much her accomplishment as it is yours.
                My wife has been amazingly supportive and I wouldn’t have been able to make it without her. There were countless days and nights where she was stuck dealing with a baby and toddler.
                Whatever financial rewards come from this advanced education will be more than half hers and our kids anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                  I got my masters and then a couple years later my wife got her's. We had both our kids before I started working on mine. When I got mine there were no online options. I had to drive an hour each way for classes 2-3 evenings a week. By the time my wife started her's there were online options and she did all of her's online.

Here is my advice. First of all, don't do it just to do it. IMO this is a business decision. If it is required, as it was for me, or if it will put you into the position you want to be in both for income level and for advancement opportunities then do it. If you are doing it just because you feel like it's a personal achievement deal, like my wife did, don't do it. You are wasting time and money.

Second thing, if you are going to do it DO IT. Get in, bust azz and get it done. One class a semester will stretch it out and keep everyone miserable for far too long. it's tough with a family and especially with little kids but just suck it up, get everyone on board and get it done.

Last thing, the online courses my wife took were the greatest thing ever. There is more busy work and the discussion stuff is a pain but overall it was so much easier. She was able to work on it whenever she had some free time. She set aside her sunday evenings to work on projects and keep caught up. It was so, so much more convenient than driving an hour, sitting in class for 2 hours and driving back home for an hour. I'd often get home at 10 pm or later and didn't even get to see my kids that day. So if there is an online option, consider it strongly.

I know lots of people who got their masters or doctorate who have not needed or used it. That is a huge waste of time and money. To me your undergrad is the price of admission. You just need to go do that to get into a whole lot of professions. Graduate degrees you need to decide on based on your own goals and income potential.
                  I don’t mean any disrespect, but I couldn’t disagree with you, and many on this thread, more.

There are many reasons you should strive to get an education, and, to me, the number one reason is INVESTING IN YOURSELF. Your education may open up possibilities in your career that you never knew existed.

Being able to see how it will affect your career now is short sighted. You have to want the education for your own personal growth.

That’s my opinion.

Congratulations OP. Because of my interests, I’m considering UNT for mine when I complete my bachelors. I will look into TAMUCC
                  Last edited by 12RingKing; 12-11-2019, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Right now is perfect time
                    Baby is easy for you to take care of right now

They are immobile so you can do your work and take care of the baby at the same time if it has internet coarses.
                    Ages 2&4 much different. They are a hand full at that time

Comment

I say whenever you can get free education you do it.

Comment

If work is paying, go!

Comment

For me the answer was, No. Mechanical Engineer with no desire to move into management. Still thought about it several times. But never had an employer ready to pay tuition or a pay scale that would reward me for a Masters. Most of my career is behind me now and have no regrets in not getting an advanced degree.

My wife is just the opposite. A teacher with tuition reimbursement (some of the time) and a pay scale that absolutely pays more the more hours you have. She has a Masters + whatever # of hours it took to max out. Hard not to do it in her case. Although she did just 'finish' college last year at age 46.

Comment

Can’t ever go wrong getting an education period.

Comment

Education is good, especially with employer reimbursement

Comment

Well I was officially awarded a masters in business administration yesterday.
                                It took dedication and support from my family and I can’t thank them enough.

I took my last final on May 3rd and started a new role at work on May 4th.

Comment

Working...
                                X