Anthrax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anthrax question

Sorry to use the word that makes everyone cringe on thanksgiving, but I’m trying to figure out what causes anthrax to flare up. Is it after a really wet winter or wet summer when you see it start to affect the deer population?

I hope you’re not asking for the Silsbee area

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      I hope you’re not asking for the Silsbee area
      No that would be outlaws!

I could be wrong but I believe it is dry winter with wet spring. Soil gets loose and the the water uncovers new sources.

Comment

Haha!!! No sir. Asking about the Kinney County area.

Comment

I've been told that both wet and dry conditions can enable an outbreak. Drought...animals eat vegetation closer to the ground, disturbing it and releasing spores.

Wet conditions... Excessive moisture brings it out of the ground and puts it on vegetation.

Comment

Originally posted by CookieMonster View Post
            Haha!!! No sir. Asking about the Kinney County area.

I hunt Kinney County as well. We lost most of our whitetails last time the anthrax reared its ugly head. There’s not much info online about what triggers it.

Comment

I was told wet spring then dry hot summer then early cool weather kicks it off.

Comment

This is our 4th year down there and we just got back from our annual pre-thanksgiving trip and everything is green and lush. It sprinkled and we had a heavy mist the whole time we were there. That much moisture got me to wondering about what causes the anthrax to flare up. Our 1st year down there (2019) was the last time the anthrax was bad, but we lucked out and somehow avoided it in our area.

Comment

Wet winter. Followed by heavy drought in spring and summer.

Comment

I'm not sure what triggers it. But hunted Kinney for a long time, and watched it wipe out most of our deer on more than one occasion.

Comment

It wiped out most of our whitetails but didn’t seem to bother the Axis.

Comment

Place we used to hunt was between Carta Valley and Del Rio. It was 3000 acres and was set up as a corporate lease so we took customers every weekend. Had 18-20 stands on it and you could sit anyone of them and see 15-20 deer. In late 80s we first saw the drop off in numbers and you would see 5-10 deer and then in mid 90's it was hit back to back years. The last year we were there I saw 3 deer all season hunting every weekend.

Comment

15yrs working this area from Val Verde, Kinney, Edwards,, Sutton, Crockett, and Real
                          "A" seems to like a warm moist spring. Leading to a drier summer with intermittent rain events, followed by intense heat of 95 degrees or better temps after.

One key ingredient is deer and lots of them or un vaccinated livestock. You don't hear of an outbreak on low deer numbers.

I'm pretty convinced "A" comes around almost every year in those prone areas, but is not seen or detected because of low deer numbers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Dealed with it in the late 80s Edweard and Black Mountain. lots of rain, then drought summer with lot’s of wind will bring up the spores.

Comment

Anthrax question

The last outbreak somehow skipped our pasture too (se of Bville) .
                              I’m seeing decent numbers each time the feeders throw.
                              Hopefully the dirty A word will continue to slide on by.

On a side now, any of you, Kinny County hunters run activity yet? I had a doe acting goofy around a buck last week, but he didn’t seem to care to chase her around. Headed back now, fingers crossed the bigger bucks will step out now that the pre thanksgiving crowd is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by DaveC; 11-25-2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X