Scope Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope Zero

This has probably been discussed before, but, figured I’d ask since it’s kind of hard to search for.

What does it actually take to knock off a scope? I’ve heard of stories of guys falling down ravines, or accidentally dropping guns from ladder stands… and still being dead on. Ive also heard of guns grabbed out of the safe that were “dead on” last year and for some reason they’re 6” off this season.

I get there plenty of variables… quality glass/rings, tight screws, etc. but what force does it actually take to move a zero on a scope??

I’m the slightly ocd type, if that’s what you want to call it, that’ll go to the range 2-3 times before every season just to shoot to make sure my gun is hitting right. I’ve never once had to make adjustments from one season to the next… so I suppose that’s the reason I’m asking.

In for answers. Trophy8 should be by soon, guy is a wealth of knowledge

Comment

Depends on the scope but it’s usually takes much more than most think to knock a scope off.

That said there are multiple other things that can effect zero while a rifle is in storage so a check before a hunt is always in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
        I’ve heard Matt described as a lot of things, but that’s a first for sure

Comment

Got thrown off a horse in Colorado once. Gun went one way, I went the other. 6x Leopold one springfield 30-06. Checked zero and still dead on.

Comment

Ive had scopes mounted and zeroed by local gun shop. The rings were torqued down on oneside and had gap on other side. Every shot was different until I noticed the gap differences. I retightened rings and it kept shifting poi. I swapped the front ring cap with the back ring cap, retightened and no more shifting zero problems.

Once I figure scope and ring set combo, I scratch hash marks into rings amd scopes. I give zero chits about my rig being scratched. It helps me visually ensure alignment is still on…at least externally.

Internally shifting is another ball of wax.

Comment

I don't buy the gun was on before putting a it in a safe and off 6" when they pulled it out unless they slammed the safe door on it multiple times. I have a Leupold scope on my 1971 Ruger RM77 7mm mag. I check it every so often and it is never off. I don't think I have moved the adjustments since I first sighted it in.

Comment

I have a cheap Bushnell scope on my .22-250 and dropped it off the back of the truck and thought for sure it was screwed but I picked it up shot it and have never adjusted it and thats been 20 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by drs View Post
                  I have a cheap Bushnell scope on my .22-250 and dropped it off the back of the truck and thought for sure it was screwed but I picked it up shot it and have never adjusted it and thats been 20 years ago
                  But did it shoot good?

Comment

In for more feedback/answers.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      That said there are multiple other things that can effect zero while a rifle is in storage so a check before a hunt is always in order.
                      Interesting take. Like what?

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
                        Fairly certain this is sarcasm.

There’s also a vortex and athlon joke here

Way too many variables. I’ve hit scopes so hard it busted the parralax knob into the erector. Still held zero. Had some get scratched and dented. Held zero. Quality bases and rings with proper torque and good optics will take some serious abuse. You might buy a $5000 rifle and a $2500 optic. Don’t skimp on a $180 set of rings to hold them together and properly torque them.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                          Temperature influence of expansion and contraction of different metals, next to each other. Gaps close. Gaps develop.

I know a Montana feller who when mountain hunting in super cold and snowy weather keeps his rifle outside the warm walled tent so as to not fog his scope and to keep his barrel and scope in cold hunting temperatures. The rifle going from warm dry to cold affected his zero.

Comment

The old rear bases that could be adjusted for windage were one of the worst inventions ever. It doesn’t take much of a bump to knock them off zero. Seldom is a quality scope knocked off zero. It’s usually the mounts or rings.

Wood stocked rifles can loose their zero due to weather changes. Wood can and does warp. If it contacts the barrel that will affect the harmonics and change zero.

New actions with integral picattiny bases eliminate a lot of problems. Good bedded synthetic stocks with free floated barrels are the bees knees.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post

Stock warpage or shift putting pressure on barrel.
                              Temp or humidity changes causing change in torque of action screws.

Etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X