Public Land Buck Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Land Buck Down

I got my biggest buck this morning on some public land I have been hunting for about 8 years now. It is also only the second buck I have killed out there but not for lack of trying. The first was in 2017 and the hunting was pretty good back then. I moved to South Texas for 2 seasons and when I came back in 2020 it wasn’t the same anymore. It seemed there was a lot more pressure and the deer just weren’t in there like they were before.

I tried a different area last year and I had 2 really big deer on camera but after the first week I wasn’t seeing much and started seeing more people out there. I hunted hard for 2 months and just couldn’t get in range of anything decent. Both big bucks ended up getting killed on private land.

This year I decided to try one of my old spots again. I knew of 3 shooters in the area that I had history with. None of them would score very high but very mature bucks. I ended up finding one of them dead before the season opened. The season started out awful and I was starting to get a little worried.

Yesterday I decided to change things up with the changing weather and wind direction. I got a new spot set up where I felt I could slip in undetected and avoid getting winded. I slipped in this morning without spooking anything and as soon as it got light enough to see a small 8 point and this wider buck came in. At first I thought it was a wide 8 point I was after then I realized it was a new buck. I knew it was the biggest buck I’ve ever had in bow range and he looked mature so I decided to go ahead and take him. He only ran about 60 yards and I heard him crash into a fallen tree. Quickest hunt of my life. I rough scored him at 133 and 18.5 inches wide.
    Attached Files

That is awesome. Congrats!

Comment

Awesome!!
      Very nice buck and good shooting. Congrats on your biggest bow buck.

Comment

Congratulations, he’s a great buck!

Comment

Awesomeness

Comment

Awesome Buck!

Comment

Congrats! Heck of an accomplishment.

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Super Buck! Congratulations

Comment

Great Buck, especially on Public Land. Congrats on a Good'Un

Comment

Awesome buck! Congratulations

Comment

Helluva public land deer! I have a few friends who've nailed nice deer on public land (deer that would be nice anywhere) and I'm always far more impressed by that, that y'all got it done on public land. hoythunter02 on here is one who has taken some good deer on public land. I think it's awesome.

Comment

Awesome deer!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats on a heckuva bow buck! That’s a good looking deer!

Comment

That's a very nice buck to find anywhere. Congratulations to you on a great accomplishment!!

Comment

Working...
                              X