Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5.9 Cummins, New Injectors and fuel mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.9 Cummins, New Injectors and fuel mileage?

OK Green Screen diesel guys. I have a 2003 Dodge that I put new injectors in at about 295K miles. Truck got about 22mpg on the highway prior to new injectors but since then it will only muster 19..... Runs great and mileage is only thing that has changed. It has been about 3 years since change and truck only has 315K now, so just trying to figure out if this is normal or can they be adjusted?? I have no clue! thanks

Pretty normal. Did that in my 03 and my moms 05. Not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does it have a tuner on it?

Comment

When is the last time you adjusted the valves? Try that and I bet it picks up some pep

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA75L_6KBH8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA75L_6KBH8[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Bheimann92 View Post
          Does it have a tuner on it?
          No tune on it.

Comment

Are they stock injectors? Lots of options out there with higher flow and you'll never get stock mileage out of those. I suspect there may be a break-in period too?

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
              Are they stock injectors? Lots of options out there with higher flow and you'll never get stock mileage out of those. I suspect there may be a break-in period too?
              I wondered about this. I did not have it done at a dealership. We were living in North Illinois, so not sure I can even find out what they put in now. I am guessing that unless there is some break in period I am stuck with what I have now.

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
                I wondered about this. I did not have it done at a dealership. We were living in North Illinois, so not sure I can even find out what they put in now. I am guessing that unless there is some break in period I am stuck with what I have now.
                Understood. On the bright side, I'd be totally happy with 19 mpg. I had an 04 5.9 4WD and was lucky to see 16mpg.

Comment

I went rounds with a customer on a deal just like this. We adjusted the valves three times, checked the pump timing. He mentioned that he had just spent a ton on the truck right before we worked on it with new tires, rebuilt the front end. That’s when it hit me to go look at his tires. He had went up on tire size and had thrown the odometer off.

Comment

It’s all about spray patterns. The original Bosch injector has an optimized spray pattern for a factory motor. Depending on if you got brand new Bosch injectors or remans/aftermarket. The spray pattern could be slightly different.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                      When is the last time you adjusted the valves? Try that and I bet it picks up some pep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA75L_6KBH8
                      I put new injectors in my 03 at 315-320k and my valves were still perfectly set. It’s not that common for them to get out of adjustment but definitely always check them.

Comment

Thanks guys! All good information. I am not too worried about it actually just more curious than anything. Luckily it is not a truck that we drive a lot any more, just use it for pulling the horse trailer, hunting and minimal use otherwise, not like we used to use it for sure. Luckily it still runs great (knock on wood!) and will hopefully last for what we use it for for many more years and miles!!

Comment

Most likely got slightly bigger injectors put in. I’ve never seen a common rail get 19 much less 22. I’d be jumping up and down if I was you lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X