Filming Setup??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filming Setup??

What is your filming setup for archery hunts? What sort of mount and camera work best so that you can review the shoot?

I'm not looking to create a Youtube superstar channel, just more interested in seeing what actually happened instead of replaying it in my head.

Search for Micheal's video on camera reviews for self filming. He touches on camera mounts as well as cameras.

If my memory serves me right, he preferred the Panasonic HC V770 or HC V800 HD camcorder.........

I use a wide variety of camera mounts, tripods etc etc for self filming. One of my favorites is a easy hanger and spotting scope window mount, very flexible and can be positioned for most tree stand setups. The other tree stand camera mount I like to use is the mount system you see used to mount the ozonics unit to a tree. This works best if you have a limb close that can be utilized.

Rwc

Comment

Small sony camcorder from 2012 that has a flip screen, homemade camera mount that has a C-clamp you use to clamp to the floor of the tree stand. Its only about a foot high to make sure its out of the way. The part you screw the camera into has a small arm I use my knees or hands to adjust where the camera is pointed. I carry this all in a backpack.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
        Search for Micheal's video on camera reviews for self filming. He touches on camera mounts as well as cameras.

If my memory serves me right, he preferred the Panasonic HC V770 or HC V800 HD camcorder.........

Rwc

Agreed with the above. I went with the HC V770 myself and couldn't be happier. I upgraded from a smaller camcorder and this one is a great step up in clarity and lower light usage. I have variety of mounts and it all depends on where I hunt. I have a couple of tripods for pop ups and hunting in unfamiliar blinds like on invites, a seat in the woods etc. My bow blind boxes have permanent mounts in them that are adjustable to the window. My pig box has a peek window below my shooting window so I can hunt with my windows closed until they get up wind of me and I don;t have to jack with the camera upon opening the shooting window. Like I said..there is a variety...

Deer blind permanent mount...

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Slacker hunting view1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	24665830

Name:	000Slacker view1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	24665829

Pig blind peak window. The tinted window slides to the side when I get them where i want them.

Name:	IMG_2146.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	24665823

Name:	IMG_2156.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	24665824

Randon picture of my tripod in a popup turkey hunting.

Name:	IMG_3670.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	24665822

Comment

Forgot to add an example of recent videos from the 770. Also watch Ebay ...folks sell them new or refurbished for much less than retail.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMcyMdnjUYo"]Bowhunting DFW area pigs 3-24-21 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGV4wg6m7q0"]Bowhunting DFW area pigs 4 21 21 - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by Smart; 10-21-2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I use a tripod and fluid head all from Fourth arrows

Name:	819BC766-FBF1-4ECB-ADD9-07F70BDC8EBB.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	24665831

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You didn't mention your hunting style... if you are blind hunter a tripod or something like above will work. If you are a tree stand hunter you will probably need something that straps to the tree. If you move a lot and rarely hunt the same tree you are going to want that to be light.

As iPhone cameras have gotten better I have moved away from bringing something extra and just upgraded my phone to the 12 pro max. It's low light capabilities rival my canon G40 and with the telescopic lens 2.5X I find that it is ample zoom for me to clearly see my shot. Supposedly the iPhone 13PM is even better at both low light and with a 3x zoom lens.

I bought a fourth arrow baton arm and after stealth stripping the crap out of it, really like it as well. But if you stay in the same stand I would probably just buy a muddy arm or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Forgot to add an example of recent videos from the 770. Also watch Ebay ...folks sell them new or refurbished for much less than retail.

Bowhunting DFW area pigs 3-24-21 - YouTube

Bowhunting DFW area pigs 3-24-21 - YouTube
                I could replay the pig running off all day. Im surprised those piglets stayed still for so long.

Really like those setups.

Comment

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
                  You didn't mention your hunting style... if you are blind hunter a tripod or something like above will work. If you are a tree stand hunter you will probably need something that straps to the tree. If you move a lot and rarely hunt the same tree you are going to want that to be light.

As iPhone cameras have gotten better I have moved away from bringing something extra and just upgraded my phone to the 12 pro max. It's low light capabilities rival my canon G40 and with the telescopic lens 2.5X I find that it is ample zoom for me to clearly see my shot. Supposedly the iPhone 13PM is even better at both low light and with a 3x zoom lens.

I bought a fourth arrow baton arm and after stealth stripping the crap out of it, really like it as well. But if you stay in the same stand I would probably just buy a muddy arm or something similar.
                  I hunt several style setups depending on where I'm at. I'm fortunate to hunt some property at work and we hunt out of really terrible community stands which would make it difficult to fit a tripod in there with me. I believe the spotting scope window mount style would work best in those stands if i put it in a window I'm unable to shoot out of.

Sometimes i still hunt from the ground, but i'm less inclined to try and manage a camera situation during those times.

Sometimes i'm in a popup blind on a wooden platform, which would be possible to manage a tripod.

Sometimes i'm in a tree stand where a muddy arm would probable work best.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
                    I could replay the pig running off all day. Im surprised those piglets stayed still for so long.

Really like those setups.

Thank you sir......I accidentally put the same video in twice. There is a second one after I edited.

That laying down is a defense mechanism for them. I guess they stop and hope trouble keeps chasing the group and passes them by. I see it in other videos all the time from the piglets.

Comment

I've started using my iPhone 12 pro and a small tripod that holds it in the window. I'm happy with how it has worked out so far. It's a great small option and will show your shot placement well. I hunt off the ground and am not concerned about posting videos on the internet. Just got tired of hauling a bigger video recorder around.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Blend View Post
                        I've started using my iPhone 12 pro and a small tripod that holds it in the window. I'm happy with how it has worked out so far. It's a great small option and will show your shot placement well. I hunt off the ground and am not concerned about posting videos on the internet. Just got tired of hauling a bigger video recorder around.
                        I'm leaning toward a simpler setup for the moment to get through the rest of the season. Been thinking about upgrading to the 12 Pro since the 13 is out and just buy a spotting scope window mount and a phone holder. For about $50 and a phone upgrade i could joint the filming crowd and then upgrade down the road.

Comment

Go the camcorder route as Michael mentions in his video. Sensor size is the key consideration if you want better low light performance.

It can't be stated enough how important video is in the recovery of game. I believe I've found deer I might not have based on what the video was able to capture for me.

I have a 12 year old Panasonic that does a great job. I have a very lightweight travel tripod that we use with it. My kids typically use it now. I run my Canon R5 which is a mirrorless unit and captures great footage. I bought it for stills but the video capabilities are great and I just love the challenge and potential rewards of using this unit.

I use a Muddy Arm in my treestand/quad pod setups. I have a good, small fluid video head that I use in the tree or in a blind. I have 4 krivo setups on the lease and have tripod legs in 3 of those so I don't have to carry a heavy tripod on every hunt. I take the head with me and screw it on whether using the muddy arm or a set of legs in one of the blinds.

Here is some footage from the R5 with some Panasonic mixed in on the 3rd one. As you can see, I'm still trying to get the focus right but the footage, and low light performance can be incredible. I realize the R5 is not what you're likely shopping for but wanted to share some videos and this was a good spot to do it!!!

Very low light shot with R5 on the hog in this one. It was so dark I believe I put my arrow below my d loop for the hog shot...which came about 2 minutes after the doe shot (I was in a hurry to make it happen).
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH91TKgqbVs"]MMR Bowhunt October 26, 2020 - YouTube[/ame]

Shot on a boar with the R5 where I blew focus. However, the pig blew blood and the camera picked it up for some of the coolest footage I've grabbed.
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlWfeYd-1UA"]Blanco Spotted Boar Bow Kill - Amazing Blood Trail - Filmed in 4K (GRAPHIC) - YouTube[/ame]

This one has video from the Panasonic that my daughter was using and then footage from my R5. These were both from the same afternoon in different stands.
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EItKRAsgFto"]Father/Daughter Double - YouTube[/ame]

Buck from this past weekend shot on my R5 from a quad pod on a muddy camera arm:
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1iyF2OF9G4"]Blanco County Archery 8 Point - 2021 - YouTube[/ame]
                          Last edited by Casey; 10-21-2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Casey your video skills with that Cannon mirrorless is pretty salty! I have been playing with my Nikon mirrorless and has taking some getting use to. I think I am about to go back to a video recorder setup, probably the Panasonic recommended in the video or an updated version.

Rwc

Comment

[QUOTE=Smart;15887078]Agreed with the above. I went with the HC V770 myself and couldn't be happier. I upgraded from a smaller camcorder and this one is a great step up in clarity and lower light usage. I have variety of mounts and it all depends on where I hunt. I have a couple of tripods for pop ups and hunting in unfamiliar blinds like on invites, a seat in the woods etc. My bow blind boxes have permanent mounts in them that are adjustable to the window. My pig box has a peek window below my shooting window so I can hunt with my windows closed until they get up wind of me and I don;t have to jack with the camera upon opening the shooting window. Like I said..there is a variety...

Deer blind permanent mount...

Curious about the Ozonics positioning. Do you always keep it in the blind?

Comment

Working...
                              X