Concrete question/formula....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concrete question/formula....

I want to pour a slab 10'x20'x4" and have it delivered since I dont have the desre to mix up individual bags at 47 years old. How much concrete do I need to order? Thanks for your help.

2.46914 Cubic Yards

Comment

so I just call a cement conmpany and say Im ready and I need 2.5 cubic yards?

Comment

About 2.5 Cubic Yards.

Comment

Originally posted by spur View Post
          so I just call a cement conmpany and say Im ready and I need 2.5 cubic yards?
          Some places don't let you get half yards. But ya, basically.
          Remember, 3 yards isn't very much. Most concrete trucks hold about 10 yards.... unless they use smaller ones... (I deal will mass quantities more...)
          But call them up and see what they say and suggest. Will never hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by TEX_hunt_AS View Post
            2.46914 Cubic Yards
            That is correct. You will probably have to order 3 yards so you might want to have a couple of other smaller areas formed up (stepping stones, small walkway, etc.) for the left over concrete...

The driver will want to dump his left over concrete and wash the truck down so make sure you have a place for him to do it and demand that he "wash down" any concrete he dumps out on the ground...they carry plenty of water to do this but won't if you don't demand it. Sure beats breaking up and disposing of a giant concrete rock later...

Comment

10' x 20' x .3333' = 66.660 cuft / 27 = 2.468889 cu yrds.

Comment

Most concrete companies have a minimum amount that you can order. the companies around Rosenberg have a seven yard minimum. You have to pay for seven even if you only need three.

Comment

Check around to see if there is a mobile mix concrete company around, they will charge you for what you use, they probably have a 3 yard minimum with a delivery fee, if I was delivering it to you it would cost 325.00, good luck.

Comment

Also,

Tell them you want a 5 sack per CY design. That is basically a state class A design. That will do fine for a slab. I would order 2.75 CY (make sure you have enough for irregularities in your depth) I work for TxDOT and have inspected the batching and pouring of thousands of CY's.

Comment

You'll have better luck with a small company getting a 3 yard load.

Comment

Originally posted by dv9296 View Post
                        Tell them you want a 5 sack per CY design. That is basically a state class A design. That will do fine for a slab. I would order 2.75 CY (make sure you have enough for irregularities in your depth) I work for TxDOT and have inspected the batching and pouring of thousands of CY's.
                        4.5 sack w/ ash will give you plenty of strength and generally is cheaper.

Comment

Lie was stated above, call one of the mix on site trucks. Most regular concrete trucks won't deliver orders that small unless they can tag it on a job nearby.

Comment

If you have trouble with a partial load...

Some plants have these you can rent. (Not sure of capacity) I've never rented one. I've had friends use 'em and see 'em around all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                              If you have trouble with a partial load...

Some plants have these you can rent. (Not sure of capacity) I've never rented one. I've had friends use 'em and see 'em around all the time.

If you only need a yard of concrete the u-cart will work but you would be money ahead to order from a mobile mix company if you need more than that.

Comment

Working...
                              X