Best cookware or set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
    To your comment regarding the additional amount of grease or oil that using stainless steel demands, this is something I did not know. There are times when I need to add more grease than usual to keep food from sticking, but I’ve always thought this was predicated on the food I’m cooking, rather than the pan I’m using. For example, breakfast potatoes need more grease than other vegetables. I’ll have to pay more attention next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah anything like starch that soaks up grease is gonna draw from your pool. Funny thing is from reading your post I have a film reel going in my head of every home fries disaster I made trying to shallow fry potatoes in SS. You lose 30 percent of your taters and ALL the caramelization. Cast iron is King No Stick imo.

Comment

We have Falk and I have not seen it mentioned. It is great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
        Yeah anything like starch that soaks up grease is gonna draw from your pool. Funny thing is from reading your post I have a film reel going in my head of every home fries disaster I made trying to shallow fry potatoes in SS. You lose 30 percent of your taters and ALL the caramelization. Cast iron is King No Stick imo.

You make a good point. I’ll try using my cast iron skillet for browning and caramelizing my potatoes next time and see if I can get away with using less grease.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          We have Falk and I have not seen it mentioned. It is great stuff.
          Copper cookware?

Comment

Copper cookware?
            Yes ma'am. They are copper on the outside and lids, but stainless on the cooking surface/inside of lids.

Comment

I use Calphalon stainless, you have to know how to cook with stainless. Water mercury test goes a long ways on proper temperature.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

What is a water mercury test?

Comment

Being a self proclaimed (and most who know me well would agree) cheap *******, I have always bought cheap nonstick and replaced it every few years. Well, thanks to y’all and this thread I’ve got a couple All-Clad nonstick skillets coming and I also got the stainless skillet and stock pot set. I’ve been using Revere Ware for about 30 years or so, the new All-Clad SS are sizes that I often wish I had duplicates. Now I will! The only thing that may backfire on me is if I like it so much more than the Revere Ware that I start replacing it all!

Comment

Originally posted by Cazador View Post
                    Being a self proclaimed (and most who know me well would agree) cheap *******, I have always bought cheap nonstick and replaced it every few years. Well, thanks to y’all and this thread I’ve got a couple All-Clad nonstick skillets coming and I also got the stainless skillet and stock pot set. I’ve been using Revere Ware for about 30 years or so, the new All-Clad SS are sizes that I often wish I had duplicates. Now I will! The only thing that may backfire on me is if I like it so much more than the Revere Ware that I start replacing it all!
                    I was using my Revere pans today - 35 years and still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cazador View Post

Trust me, you will never look back…

Comment

Jumped on the All-Cad Non stick sale since they were half off.

Excited and appreciate the input/help

Comment

With all the new cookware purchases I’m seeing on here, I expect to see a lot of great meals made after the first of the year!

Comment

I use Madein and really like but my wife doesn't so she ordered a set of Hex Clad. I'll give a report once we've cooked with them for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                              I use Madein and really like but my wife doesn't so she ordered a set of Hex Clad. I'll give a report once we've cooked with them for awhile.
                              I just watched pretty good YouTube video on HexClad.

It was neither positive nor negative and simply explained it and showed pros and cons.

At least now I understand it.

It is (as they honestly advertise) hybrid nonstick/stainless cookware. It isn’t nonstick stainless.

The guy doing the review showed the pros and cons of cooking on nonstick pans and of stainless.

HexClad is stainless but with a nonstick (or is it nonstick with stainless) that you can see in the design. Basically there are raised stainless fingers to keep metal utensils from scratching the nonstick surface that is countersunk (HC calls it valleys on their website) into the surface. For that reason it is kind of nonstick but not as much as a standard nonstick pan.

Since it is not completely nonstick, it has to be seasoned with each use by heating and then adding oil just like stainless or cast iron. In fact lack of seasoning is specifically mentioned in the HC lifetime website warranty. I figure that most cooking in skillets is done with oil anyway but I cook eggs and pancakes in nonstick without oil most of the time.

The “lifetime” warranty does not cover the pan if it is fails to be seasoned and it does not cover wear and tear. They list “excessive heat, abuse, neglect, improper storage, misuse of sharp utensils, improper cleaning or lack of seasoning” as reasons that the lifetime warranty will not cover replacement. Maybe that is kind of standard but it certainly isn’t stainless, cast iron or carbon steel. It is essentially Teflon with raised stainless fingers to keep metal spoons and spatulas from gouging the nonstick.

The review showed that it is extremely well made cookware.

The bottom line was that if you are making omelets (he showed making a French omelet (slow cooked) or something like that, the HC was a poor choice. For searing (it you don’t mind searing on nonstick) it is excellent and for general cooking. It has the benefit of being excellent made cookware and you can use metal utensils without much worry. If you really need nonstick however, you probably need really nonstick and HC isn’t it

I think the guy reviewing it mentioned, if you buy the HC and you like to cook certain items like the omelet, don’t throw away your nonstick pans.

Comment

What is a water mercury test?
                                https://youtu.be/CB-SCA1reqE

Incorrect use the main reason people get food stuck on ss pans.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221128-141609_YouTube.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	24700098

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X