No announcement yet.

LEO and GW seize horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y’all got too much to hide, I’m happy to be checked. Had good checks and bad ones but at the end of the day they are doing a job. IMO being an *** in that profession is similar to prosecuting someone trespassing to the fullest, it gets your name out and sets the tone of not messing around.

Comment

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
      Y’all got too much to hide, I’m happy to be checked. Had good checks and bad ones but at the end of the day they are doing a job. IMO being an *** in that profession is similar to prosecuting someone trespassing to the fullest, it gets your name out and sets the tone of not messing around.
      TRUTH! - Too much to hide - sad that so many of our hunters today are against abiding by the law

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
        I don't agree with some of the comments but holding law enforcement accountable to the laws is just as important as them holding citizens accountable to the laws. This country was designed to regulate both.

People just rolling over to law enforcement has perpetuated a lot of these issues.

I know several good Leo's who do it the right way but there are too many still doing it wrong and overshadowing them. That makes frustrates me even more.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
        define "rolling over" ???

Comment

Alright where is Greenheadless to let us know what stage this thread is at on the GW’s.

Comment

I will also add some areas have had some real bad ones and it left its mark.

We had a GW that got shot because he tried to serve a warrant by himself despite the sheriff telling him not to. The sheriff had already set up a time that day the man was going to turn himself in. He ruined that and life and actually a 13 or 15 year old boys who has spent his entire life in jail also.

The GW also got busted poaching himself.

He also forced his way in to my fiends house and threated to arrest my friends wife if she did not give him keys to the neighboring ranches. He was reprimanded and his boss made him go back and appalogize to them.

There were many other allegations against him also.

He was not liked by other law enforcement in the area.

It's hard to erase years of abuse of power like that.

I had a GW try to write me a ticket when I was not even hunting. I tried being nice on two separate occasions and to discuss the situation reasonably. He misread that as being weak and decided to push harder. The last thing I told him was.. you can write what ever your heart desires but be ready to defend every bit of it in front of a judge and that I was going to make him famous. He backed off and separated me from the sheep so he could continue to push his bs on them.

We are fortunate to have some good GWs in our area now.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
              I don't agree with some of the comments but holding law enforcement accountable to the laws is just as important as them holding citizens accountable to the laws. This country was designed to regulate both.

People just rolling over to law enforcement has perpetuated a lot of these issues.

I know several good Leo's who do it the right way but there are too many still doing it wrong and overshadowing them. That makes frustrates me even more.

Agree 100%, the game wardens and all other law enforcement work for us. That goes for school boards, politicians. Etc. Folks forgot we pay their salary. Yes we hire and entrust them to do a job and protect our resources, but to blindly trust them and do whatever they ask, no questions asked is what leads to tyranny.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                This was from Texas Lawshield site. Seems the GW could interpret the freezer in your house as needing searching and enter your residence without a warrant. Maybe I am just over thinking it.
                That applies to the field, not inside of your home…. or hotel room, deer camp, tent, etc.

This is from the TPW Code under the authority to inspect:.

PARKS AND WILDLIFE CODE
                TITLE 2. PARKS AND WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
                CHAPTER 12. POWERS AND DUTIES CONCERNING WILDLIFE

Sec. 12.102. INSPECTION OF WILDLIFE RESOURCES. (a) In this section:
                (1) "Residence" means a person's principal or ordinary home or dwelling place.
                (2) "Temporary residence" means a place where a person temporarily dwells or seeks shelter. The term does not include a hunting blind. The term does include a:
                (A) hunting club or lodge;
                (B) clubhouse;
                (C) cabin;
                (D) tent;
                (E) manufactured home used as a hunting club or lodge; and
                (F) hotel room, motel room, or room in a boardinghouse used during a hunting trip.
                (3) "Wildlife resource" means any animal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or form of aquatic life or any part of an animal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or form of aquatic life the hunting, catching, or possession of which is regulated by this code.
                (b) Except as provided by Subsection (d), a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department who observes a person engaged in an activity regulated by this code or under the jurisdiction of the commission or reasonably believes that a person is or has been engaged in an activity regulated by this code or under the jurisdiction of the commission may inspect:
                (1) any license, permit, tag, or other document issued by the department and required by this code of a person hunting or catching wildlife resources;
                (2) any device that may be used to hunt or catch a wildlife resource;
                (3) any wildlife resource in the person's possession; and
                (4) the contents of any container or receptacle that is commonly used to store or conceal a wildlife resource.
                (c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department may inspect any wildlife resource that has been taken by a person and is in plain view of the game warden or other peace officer.
                (d) Nothing in this section authorizes a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department to conduct a search otherwise authorized by this section:
                (1) in a person's residence or temporary residence; or
                (2) on a publicly maintained road or way that is:
                (A) improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic;
                (B) open to the public; and
                (C) distinguishable from a shoulder, berm, or other area not intended for vehicular traffic.

Note the definitions (1) Residence and (2) Temporary Residence. It can be your home, cabin, motel room, tent, lodge, etc.

In (b) and (c) it shows authority to inspect game bags, licenses, devices used to take game and so on.

Then get down to the heart of the matter for inspections by reading (d). Nothing in this section authorizes a game warden to conduct a search otherwise authorized by this section.

So obviously the law allows game wardens to inspect your license, firearm, game bag, etc. while in the field. It clearly states however that even inspections “otherwise authorized” (meaning in the field or in plain view), it does not apply to your residence or even temporary residence such as your deer camp structure, hotel room or tent which is just as secure as your home.

The Fourth Amendment to get inside of your home doesn’t mention any exemption for game wardens.

Comment

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post
                  Agree 100%, the game wardens and all other law enforcement work for us. That goes for school boards, politicians. Etc. Folks forgot we pay their salary. Yes we hire and entrust them to do a job and protect our resources, but to blindly trust them and do whatever they ask, no questions asked is what leads to tyranny.
                  I can honestly say that I have don’t remember any comment in any forum that said that we should blindly trust people in charge and ask no questions whether school boards, city councils or the police.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                    Like you are asleep at 2:00am and you are asked to "roll-over", wake up, and show your hunting license?...

Comment

To the OP, certainly we are hearing one side from a defense attorney but to say this seems like utter nonsense would be an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                        Watched a guy pay over a grand in fines for dove hunting over an agricultural crop that did not make. I talked to two other GWs that said it was perfectly legal. I had done it before many times, once with a GW, and knew it was not illegal.

The GWs in that area pushed it and he paid it despite several us advising him it was not illegal. He did all of us a disservice.

I'm not suggesting people break the law or hide broken laws. The ends do not justify the means though. A fish or bird or deer is not more important than trampling a citizens rights. I think that gets forgotten too often.

Comment

Heard a similar account back in 2016 about a Grayson county game warden, was it true IDK but it sure was an interesting story.

Comment

I worked tightly with Game Wardens for several years. Good group I was around but they had one jack wagon- We had those in my agency as well- I bet everyone on here can look around at work and most will have that guy/gal that does not represent well.

Comment

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post

Are you the guy I ask for a raise?

Its been 6-7 years, I think we could use a little

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                                I worked tightly with Game Wardens for several years. Good group I was around but they had one jack wagon- We had those in my agency as well- I bet everyone on here can look around at work and most will have that guy/gal that does not represent well.
                                Yes, but the people I work with can't fine you, don't carry a gun, and cant ruin your life. Major difference with the amount of power Leo's have.

Comment

Working...
                                X