No announcement yet.

School me on the 6mm Creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a good friend up here that has has spent his entire career in predator control. He has shot about every varmint caliber out there at one time or another.
    What is his rifle of choice today? 6mm CM. He tells me that for him, when managing mountain lions, wolvesand coyotes it allows him to reach out there further and still be effective. He does all his own reloading as well.
    Personally, I shoot and reload for a 243 Win but if I were in the market, I would take a hard look at it. When a guy shoots 20,000 rounds a year killing predators, I tend to listen to what he has to say.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
      .260 IS the same as 6.5. But REM screwed that up with limited offerings of rifles and ammo. Especially ammo. My early model 7 was worst shooting I have ever owned.
      I agree the early model 7 in .260 was junk. I had one, wouldn’t pattern any better than a pie plate right out of the box. I even sent my Leupold scope in to be checked. Took that rifle to the gun show, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by 68rustbucket View Post
        I agree the early model 7 in .260 was junk. I had one, wouldn’t pattern any better than a pie plate right out of the box. I even sent my Leupold scope in to be checked. Took that rifle to the gun show, problem solved.
        I bought my .260 CDL Limited when they came out in 08. Bedded the action, floated the barrel and it’s been killin stuff ever since. Kids and grandkids seem to like it a lot.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          About 98% of these posts have no credence at all. Unless you reload and/or shoot way out there the 6mm has nothing over the 243
          I might have believed you except you said unless you reload. That’s actually 95% the benefit of 6 CM. The quality factory loads

Comment

I’ve had my 6mm Creedmoor for at least 6 years now. I hunt with the 103 eldx, and target shoot with the 108 eldm. I’ve taken 100’s of animals with it. Its pretty much all I carry these days. Almost shot a 300ish pound aoudad with it last Saturday, just couldn’t get the right shot on it. I absolutely love the round, super accurate.

Comment

Any factory hunting rifles out there in this caliber?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                Any factory hunting rifles out there in this caliber?
                Lots. Bergara. Seekins. To name probably the top 2.

Comment

I had Alamo Precision put together a 16.5” CF 6mm CM on tikka action almost 2 years ago. Shooting Factory 108 ELdM 2650fps and I planned on reloading to get more speed BUT it has been an absolute hammer on animals from 50-480yds. On pigs, yotes, and mule deer. I’ve BEEN VERY IMPRESSED with the performance of the bullet and the accuracy of the factory ammo. I’ve told people I’d have no problem building another 6mm CM rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                    I had Alamo Precision put together a 16.5” CF 6mm CM on tikka action almost 2 years ago. Shooting Factory 108 ELdM 2650fps and I planned on reloading to get more speed BUT it has been an absolute hammer on animals from 50-480yds. On pigs, yotes, and mule deer. I’ve BEEN VERY IMPRESSED with the performance of the bullet and the accuracy of the factory ammo. I’ve told people I’d have no problem building another 6mm CM rifle.
                    Imagine if a good smith built it! Lol

Comment

I have a 6.5, 6cm and .243. I shoot at least once a week. The 6.5 collects dust.

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                        I have a 6.5, 6cm and .243. I shoot at least once a week. The 6.5 collects dust.
                        Why? Serious question

BP

Comment

It's all about the bullet. I shot a box of 95gr Hornaday SST in my old .244 Rem and had bullets blow up on the hide on two animals with no deep penetration. One was a big old boar and the other a long horn spike. Took several shots to put them both down. The deer ran about a mile and the boar finally got one in the ear hole. Never had that problem when I shot cheap green box Core-lokts.
                          SST's made good P-dog and paper ammo and that's about it. I suspect the velocity was just too high for those bullets.

Comment

Why? Serious question

BP
                            Fun to punch paper and shoot steel. Extremely accurate round but have had very mixed results with it in the field. Bullets exploding on shoulders, no blood trails. Perfect shots and trailed animals for entirely too long. Very little confidence in it in the field. Never ever had these issues with any other round. Has made me very leery of using it on animals.

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                              Fun to punch paper and shoot steel. Extremely accurate round but have had very mixed results with it in the field. Bullets exploding on shoulders, no blood trails. Perfect shots and trailed animals for entirely too long. Very little confidence in it in the field. Never ever had these issues with any other round. Has made me very leery of using it on animals.
                              Sure sounds like bullet choice issues? I am asking because I’m looking forctge best affordable 6.5 CM deer round for 50-300 yards.

BP

Comment

Sure sounds like bullet choice issues? I am asking because I’m looking forctge best affordable 6.5 CM deer round for 50-300 yards.

BP
                                Agreed. I think Hornady makes a nice bullet. But I think coupled with the 6.5cm it’s not a good match. Finding anything on the shelf for the 6.5 other than Hornady is tough. However, I did find some 140 grn Norma soft points which I’m hoping pattern well with my gun. If so, it could prevent
                                Me from rechambering my 6.5 (which is an Alamo gun by the way)

Comment

Working...
                                X