Chevy feeling unstable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    This was a long time ago, but I was told in high school by a tire guy to put new AT or MT rubber up front if you only buy two tires. Dad insisted the new rubber go on the back so that the drive tires had the better tread. Tire guy said ok. Whatever you want. I experienced the same thing when we did that. Slight fishtailing, unstable feeling. Like the back was walking driving straight down the road. We went back and flipped them and all was well. Guy said it had something to do with the softness of new tread versus tread that had some wear on it. Told me to always put new ATs up front. You might try that.

What do you do when you put 4 new tires on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have bought three sets of Cooper Discovery tires for my truck, for the first few days, to maybe a week, I can feel the truck slipping and sliding along. I forget about it, till I get a new set put on the truck, it feels like I am driving on a very slick road, all the time. After a few hundred miles it goes away. That is the one down side I have found to the Cooper Discovery tires. I get very good life out of them and the best fuel mileage my truck has ever gotten with those tires.

The traction problems should go away in a 200 to 300 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
        What do you do when you put 4 new tires on?

Pay the cashier and drive off...

Comment

Tighten your seat belt. I got new Nittos on my Chevy HD and pulled a trailer and thought it was going to turn over around a corner. Did research and found that they need to break in. Didn't belive it but I put some miles on and they did and are fine now

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
            These are cooper discoverers. I have had these on the truck since 2016 .

I jumped on the corners of the truck and the shocks seen fine.

Flip em.. back to front....

Comment

I noticed this after 200 miles. I have put about 450 miles on them now

Comment

That would be odd, at that mileage. My truck it's about the first three days the tires on on the truck, it feels like all of the lug nuts are loose. I will get out and check the lug nuts a couple times in the first three days, because it's a bit scary, it's like someone put some very good slick grease on the tires, it slides with all four tires. I have to resort to driving very gently, steer gently, accel gently, brake gently, that's not my style at all. After a few days I feel it gaining traction, even the second week driving on a new set of Discovery tires, I am paranoid that it's going to do something I don't want it to do. Eventually the tires loose the no traction crap, and I eventually regain confidence in the tires. then go back to driving normal. That first drive home from Discount tire on a new set of Cooper Discoveries is always a fun drive. I don't know what they do to the tires that causes them to have close to zero traction, they seem well lubed for a few days.

You might check the air pressure in the tires and check the lug nuts just to be sure, but I am going to bet it's just a characteristic of those tires.

Comment

These are cooper discoverers. I have had these on the truck since 2016 .

I jumped on the corners of the truck and the shocks seen fine.
                  Nothing drift more than stock shocks that “seem fine”

Comment

Check the pressure on the rear, try dropping them 10, 15, 20 psi and them and them driving. You would be able to pressuring back up after a couple hundred miles. Predominate on a wider than stock tire.

Comment

Surprised nobody has mentioned your nuts. Might need to check them.

Always put new tires on front since they tend to stop better than bald ones.

Comment

About 10-15yrs ago a new set of Coopers did the same to me, went away after a while. Dont remember the model name

Comment

Originally posted by LogFlinger View Post
                          Check the pressure on the rear, try dropping them 10, 15, 20 psi and them and them driving. You would be able to pressuring back up after a couple hundred miles. Predominate on a wider than stock tire.

This is what I do.

Comment

What pressure is recommended? There is the number in the door jamb. There is a max pressure on the tire. I have always run them at 65 on the front and 75-80 on the back regardless of if i am towing or not. They always wear even.

Comment

I run less in the rears typically, but go by the max on the tire. I'd start 10lbs under max.

Comment

Chevy feeling unstable

What pressure is recommended? There is the number in the door jamb. There is a max pressure on the tire. I have always run them at 65 on the front and 75-80 on the back regardless of if i am towing or not. They always wear even.

Normally driving, more in the front because of the weight of the motor. Front of the truck is naturally heavier than the arse. Lighter in the rears unless I am carrying a load. Then I’ll bump it up some. If I’m too high in the rears i’ll run the center out of them. Too light in the front, I run the outsides off …
                                Last edited by Smart; 11-08-2022, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X