Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of lawyer needed and recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of lawyer needed and recommendations?

I guess I will be needing to hire a lawyer to get my shop rebuilt/repaired. In July we had a grass fire that was started by Oncor. It burned a bunch of area and got my shop and fence. We got everything added up and sent into them. They came back with an offer of about 1/3 of what it will take to get things repaired or replaced. Told them that wasn’t going to work. Tired of dealing with them and going to hire a lawyer to get this closed.

What kind of lawyer do I need to get beside a good one. This is in the DFW / Canton area.

Thanks
    Chris

I am sure you have thought about it but can't you turn in an insurance claim and let them chase oncore?

Comment

Can't help you, but good luck Chris.

Comment

RWB with the win. That is what insurance is for. Make the claim and they will go after Oncor.

Comment

Oncor sucks - I agree that if you have insurance let them chase Oncor

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
            I am sure you have thought about it but can't you turn in an insurance claim and let them chase oncore?
            Insurance said to deal with ONCOR directly. They are saying they are only going to pay $22k because our tax appraisal was only a certain amount. With the bids to get building and electric done alone is over $45k. That’s not counting the contents or the fence that needs replacement now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
              RWB with the win. That is what insurance is for. Make the claim and they will go after Oncor.
              Insurance will not do it. The agent we had screwed up writing the policy we had and didn’t insure it correctly.

We have since got a new agent and redid our whole policy.

Comment

Sounds like the insurance company is playing the game as well. Basing their number off your property tax value is a quick and cheap way to lower their offer because property tax values have a strong tendency to be under market value. Especially when it comes to items like shops and fencing.

They also might be basing their numbers off old cost data. Since the cost of everything is going up.

A lawyer may be a good idea

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                  Insurance said to deal with ONCOR directly. They are saying they are only going to pay $22k because our tax appraisal was only a certain amount. With the bids to get building and electric done alone is over $45k. That’s not counting the contents or the fence that needs replacement now.
                  Make sure they are looking at Market value on that appraisal and not Tax value. They are likely using the numbers that work in their favor and not yours.

Comment

Good luck suing Oncor. They will keep you tied up in court for years while your lawyer bleeds you. By the time you give up, you will have spent more than the difference between the two offers. Take the insurance offer.

Comment

May be worth a try to contact these guys: Public Utility Commission of Texas

customer@puc.texas.gov

Good luck!

ac

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                        Insurance will not do it. The agent we had screwed up writing the policy we had and didn’t insure it correctly.

We have since got a new agent and redid our whole policy.
                        Sue the agent under his errors and omissions policy
                        Unfortunately you under insured your self.
                        He let you under insure to save you money and keep your business with him

Comment

Crummy situation for sure, esp since it appears your insurance company messed up.
                          PYBuck might have the best advice- take what you can get now.
                          Looks like you might be out close to $25k but keep this in mind ... Just basing off my wife's retention fee and hourly rate for lawyering in DFW, that $25k difference would be gone in a hurry.
                          Good luck to you moving forward and hope it all works out to your satisfaction.

Comment

So what's Oncor offering?

How much are total repairs?

I'd call my insurance over and over.. Get them to raise what they'll give you. If you can get insurance to pay you closer to 30k and Oncor gives you 15k you'll be close to whole, right?

Be the squeaky wheel.. A loud one. Insurance often starts low until you get mad...then stay mad..File with Insurance board, BBB etc.

A free consult with a lawyer may be worth it.

Comment

I would probably hire an attorney to try and get the best possible conclusion from your insurance company as well as Oncors insurance company.

Comment

Working...
                              X