• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
    Not a Core-lokt.

Comment

Both options you listed would do fine.

I’ve shot the federal fusion 62? 64? and killed many deer with it. Also shot the winchester 64gr and federal blue box 60 whatever grain. All killed deer and pigs.

My handload for the 223 is a Sierra 65gr gameking and it performs amazingly.

Pay attention to your twist rate with the Barnes bullets. They are long for their weight and if you don’t have a faster twist, you may have issues. My 1:9 AR will stabilize the 70gr Speer soft point and the 65gr gameking, but won’t stabilize the 62gr Barnes bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
        If you can find some federal 60gr Nosler partitions get them. Out of a 223 they are deadly on deer.

Yes this would be another very good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
          Remington doesn’t make a 55 gr Core-lokt.
          Ok.
          Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 10-11-2022, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Federal T.R.U.'s 55gr softpoint
            Last edited by steve morton; 10-12-2022, 09:16 PM.

Comment

the gun or bullets don't matter.. given proper shot they all will do the job ...

the kid .. is he a big 12 year old ? or a little frail kid?

is he a mama's boy or a daredevil ...

based on that alone i'd pick the least intimidating for the low side and the thumper for the other ...
              bigger is always better , but if he's scared ****less and flinches the tree behind the deer won't care if it's a 55gr , a 64, or a 308 ...

Comment

I’m planning on trying a 60 Nosler Partition this year just for the heck of it.

Will probably be a neck shot anyhow, so won’t really matter bullet construction.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                  I’m planning on trying a 60 Nosler Partition this year just for the heck of it.

Will probably be a neck shot anyhow, so won’t really matter bullet construction.
                  My son shoots Partitions in his 12 twist Rem 700 with good results. Had to work a bit to come up with a load that shot.

Comment

Got to go with the Hornady Wt Hunter, 60 grain, it will put them down.

God Bless
                    Bish

Comment

I’ve had excellent results with 65gr SBT Sierra Gamekings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm planning on trying out the Winchester deer season 64 grainers pretty quick. Hopefully they'll work okay. I'll report back if I remember. Will be shooting them out of a 16 in AR

Comment

Originally posted by khunter View Post
                          I’ve had excellent results with 65gr SBT Sierra Gamekings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          That’s what I load over a stout charge of Varget. They do great on whitetail and pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                            Not a Core-lokt.
                            But this is...https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023175968?pid=871652

Looks like they have a couple options for 223 Core-Lokt cartridges.
                            Last edited by HankTheTank; 10-15-2022, 02:20 PM. Reason: insert link

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post
                              But this is...https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023175968?pid=871652

Looks like they have a couple options for 223 Core-Lokt cartridges.
                              The 62 gr 223 Core-lokt is the only 22 caliber Core-lokt bullet I’ve ever seen.

Comment

55 or 62 grain should be fine. Both of my girls shot their first deer with my AR 223. Pigs too.

Comment

Working...
                                X