HVAC System Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC System Advice Please

I’m having a new construction HVAC system installed. If this was your house and your money, what advice would you give to me?
    Assuming install quality is the same, everything included on one estimate is included on the other. Both estimates are 3 ton units that are properly sized from load calculations. Home is really tight spray foam construction.
    Electricity rate is fixed for another 3 years at 10 cents/kw. But who knows after that.
    Would the variable speed upgrade ever pay for itself? Variables more expensive to fix? Would the 10 year warranty be worth it considering EPA should begin to phase out the refrigerant soon? Lennox vs Trane? Etc etc. I’m all ears!

I’m a trane fan. We have several on our store currently and while they are in need of repair they are pushing 20 years old with little to no maintenance from the previous owners.

I have trane units at my house as well. Make sure they are bigger than what is “recommended”. As far as new options on new systems I won’t be much help.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Trane. I work at an HVAC service company and it seems 75 percent of leak repairs we make on residential systems involve a Lennox evaporator coil. All brands have their flaws but what I seem to see a lot of I is the Lennox evap coils failing in 3-5 years.

Comment

Trane is good. Make sure your warranty covers labor and material. This would include refrigerant. I would not pay extra as Trane should come with a 10 year warranty standard. I am not a fan of bells and whistles. I would be a bare bones type.

Comment

Wow. I got a 3 ton goodman installed for $4300 about 3 years ago. Can't imagine spending nearly $20k on a new system. Even if the higher seer rating saves you some money each month. Is this the only quote you have gotten so far?

Comment

Originally posted by OTL91 View Post
            Trane. I work at an HVAC service company and it seems 75 percent of leak repairs we make on residential systems involve a Lennox evaporator coil. All brands have their flaws but what I seem to see a lot of I is the Lennox evap coils failing in 3-5 years.
            Curious if that’s micro channel or copper?

As far as variable speed…. Yes, more expensive to fix from what I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by WTX View Post
              Curious if that’s micro channel or copper?

As far as variable speed…. Yes, more expensive to fix from what I understand.
              Not micro channel.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                Wow. I got a 3 ton goodman installed for $4300 about 3 years ago. Can't imagine spending nearly $20k on a new system. Even if the higher seer rating saves you some money each month. Is this the only quote you have gotten so far?

I got 5 quotes. One does a 5 ton single stage unit, which is way oversized. Others were about the same price and size wise but I didn’t really like the other guys that came to do the bid as much.

Comment

I would stick with the 16 seer. Should be plenty comfortable given your insulation and new build.

Comment

We sell an aftermarket Genteq motor to replace the x13 variable speed blower motor for a coupler hundred dollars. If you motor has more then 9 pins in the connector, you have to go back to the OEM to get the software. Those will run you a few thousand to replace.

Comment

I used to install Lennox systems in homes I built but they began to have big problems with the evaporator coils. I would run from them. Unless something has changed, I thought most of the brands had a 5 year warranty and if you register with the mfgr. they extend to 10 year parts. I have used Carrier with very good results. We had a Trane that quit at 5 years and I had annual service performed. Not a fan. I have also heard good things about Rheem and American Standard. It's the install that is important regardless of the brand.

Comment

We built 8 years ago (not long before I met you and your lovely bride on that bear hunt in Sask) and put in one of the first XV20i systems in the Houston area. We have had no issues with it and keep our foam house nice and cool. If you plan on staying in the home long term the variable speed is worth it. If you’re gonna sell/move in a few years probably not going to get that return on it. The major brands are all pretty comparable, but I favor Trane and the warranty is excellent.

Comment

Is the warranty with the mfg or the contacting company? If contractor, happens if they go out of business? Do they have longevity and a good rating overall (multiple sources)?

I have had Trane, American Standard (also Trane), and Lennox. First two I would do again, latter, not so much.

Comment

How long do you plan on staying in this house? If it’s your forever house, I’d go with the variable compressor. If you’re going to sell in 5 years or so, just put in a single stage unit and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X