Why pay for kids college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
    How much is a good amount to save for a kids tuition? We save some every month and I plan to pay for my children’s college if they want to go. I do think college is overrated and will not require them go if they don’t see fit and can use the money on real estate investments or any other investments if they would like.
    Currently, tuition, books, dorm & meal-plan for a State School in Texas (Sam Houston, SFA, etc) is right at $20k per year.

When my oldest (now 27) graduated from Louisiana Tech is was about $14k per year.

Comment

We've had a 529 plan for my son since day 1. College wasn't for me but I did bust my arse putting my wife thru after she graduated. 4 years at a&m Texarkana and didn't owe a dime when she graduated. If I can give my son a leg up when he starts I'm by all means gonna do it. I have the first 18 years to teach him about hard work and sacrifice.

Comment

I told the wife our savings plan is the military. ROTC scholarships are probably one of the easiest scholarships to get. I got an Army ROTC scholarship my senior but couldn't pass the darn medical.

Then there are less known options. The Houston Police Department pays for about 95% of your tuition up to PhD or law school level. My graduate degree cost about 1500 out of pocket.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by andre3k; 05-10-2022, 04:48 PM.

Comment

My opinion is, by paying for the college with expectations, there is a better chance that they will go to college and complete college good grades. If a child coming out of high school sees amount of debt that they are going to go into in college, there's a lot higher chance that they won't go to college. Not saying people cannot be productive and make a great living not going to college, but I believe that it does provide for a better secure living down the road. If I was a person coming out of high school and can make $15 an hour with overtime, that's a whole lot better than
          $25,000 a year in debt. I wouldn't go

I will pay for my kids college. My parents paid for my college. I paid for my graduate school

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I was one of the lucky ones and graduated with a professional degree free of any debt, unlike many of my colleagues that are 200-400k in debt from school alone.

I did my undergrad degree at the local university because I had a full ride and then went to Missouri for school afterwards. Aside from birthday and Christmas, my grandparents never really gave me much until I got to Vet school and then covered tuition 100% as long as I finished.

I’ve got a 1.5 year boy now and I will say our life is in a really good place right now not having any student loan debt and I dang sure want to/will provide that opportunity for my kids if they desire to pursue further education. I don’t and can’t think of any reason not to help your kid out if you’re financially able to.
              Last edited by BigRed323; 05-10-2022, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I was fortunate, my parent's paid mine. My wife's did not and we started our life together and new careers with 30k in student loan debt.

I promised myself I would never force my kid to take out student loan debt. Paying interest for that is just irresponsible in my opinion. I currently have a 529 for my 7 year old which will grow tax free and be used to pay his college. If he does not make grades, he is on his own- same rules as I had from my parents.

Comment

Throw in 1K into SPY or ETF of your choice, let the stock market do its thing and cash out when they need the money. Keep adding adding money when it dips along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                    I find it odd... not one post requiring kids to have skin in the game. Or hold them accountable for applying for scholarships.
                    Mine specifically mentioned that...I didn't go into detail but thinking 75-25

Comment

Mine paid their own way and didn’t even know it. Started at 9 years older showing animals thru 4H and FFA. They thought they were just learning life responsibilities and having fun. All of their winnings went into savings accounts and 9 years later they both had enough to pay for bachelor degrees from a major university. Also won several scholarships along the way. They both went on to get their masters and one is now working on a PHD with little debt. Both finished in swift time as well. I was real lucky they are both smart kids. They knew not to screw around or they would in deep doo with momma!

Comment

If your kids want to attend college. The best thing that you can give them for a Headstart in life is to pay for their college. End of subject

Comment

If your children would like to attend college. The best thing that you can give them for a head start in life is to pay for for their college

Comment

Double post

Comment

I’ll help if they are making the grades, but we are pushing one of mine to trades. Time will tell…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My Parents paid for my college tuition as well as both of my sisters. All three of us have been successful. My Wife and I made sure that we saved and paid for both of our children as well. We have been blessed with kids that had great work ethics long before they entered college. No college debt for them. Best gift I could provide for them financially speaking. We do not regret one cent spent on any of our Kids schooling, Baseball, Volleyball, FFA, hunts, etc. My Daughter has also worked throughout college. She has four classes left. Her resume is going to look great right out of college. If you want your kids to pay for their college then that is your choice. This isn’t a right or wrong answer thread. Not everyone has to go to college to do well either.

Comment

Working...
                                X